lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Carryall Front Hubs

Discovered while driving this evening that my front “passenger” side hub has given up the ship on my 07 Carryall. Are there any site sponsors to order from?
Tyler_Veasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Carryall Front Hubs

The hub? Not really much to go bad there. The wheel bearing may but its replaceable. Or lots of times people dont tighten the castle nut enough and it has a lot of slop as a result. Tighten it snug (but not tight) and it's all better
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Remove the dust cover and see what kind of bearing is in there.
I'm pretty sure the carryall still had serviceable (greasable) tapered bearings at that point. So it should be full of grease.
Could have worn out bearings, they're usually about $10 each. Some new bearings and new grease and it's like brand new again.
If the outer bearing races in the hub are worn you'll need a puller and an installer to put new races in the hub. If you don't have those then you can get the whole hub from Revolution Golf Cars if you prefer to go that route. Seems to me the older style hubs were around $90 each last I saw. Might be cheaper now if some aftermarket company has started making them.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Part of my interest is in prepping for a lift down the road, so it was my understanding that it is necessary to replace the hubs in order to fit a Jakes 4” or 6”.
Also it broke, like the hub is loose on the axle. I’ll get a picture.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There were two different hub designs and they do not interchange.
Yours should be the “old style” hub with tapered bearings. Metal dust cap on the end. A large castle nut to tighten the bearings and a cotter pin to lock the nut in place. These go on a 3/4” diameter spindle that is the same diameter all the way to the end including the threads on the end. These bearings are meant to be serviced on occasion, and are covered in grease.

The “New style” hub uses sealed ball bearings. These have a plastic dust cap that usually falls off. It has a 20mm shaft diameter that steps down at the end to a 14mm thread and has a flanged lock nut to hold the hub on. The bearings are sealed so there is no grease inside the hub.
Look at your hubs and see what you have.

When looking at lift kits you’ll see a difference for pre 04, and for 04 and up. The difference is the hub. In 04 the DS and Precedent got the “new style” hubs, and the spindle on the DS was changed to use the new hub.
Prior to 04, everything uses the “old style” hub. I don’t know when or If that change was made on the carryall models. So you should look at your hubs and order the lift kit that matches the hubs you have.
The old style spindles are a better and stronger design, and as long as you re-pack them like once in ten years, they last pretty much forever.

The bearings on the new style hubs fail in 4-5 years, and the hubs are too thin around the lug studs which causes the hubs to crack and the wheel to fall off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Mine are definitely the old style hubs. Tapered needle bearings on both ends, metal cap & castellated nut on the end. And it is definitely busted. Don’t judge me too harshly, this was owned by a construction company for most of its life and pretty well abused before I rescued it from literally being pushed in to a dumpster. So yay free cart, but there are a lot of issues that crop up from time to time as a result of that prior abuse. It’s getting better, but I should have serviced these hubs before now. Eh, I love new parts.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Some jb weld and fresh grease and you'll be good as new

You could try ebay and see if you can find a good used one, or call david hicks at revolution golf cars and he should be able to help.you out.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car