lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #1
Mxrider3371
Not Yet Wild

Default G8 won’t run

Hey guys I have a 1992 G8 gas. Started out the season with a very intermittent running issue, it would run perfect then all of a sudden it would only go 2mph back firing and smelled like raw fuel. So here is a list of brand new parts I’ve installed trying to chase the root of the problem. It’s dead in the water as of right now will turn over but won’t start. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

Fuel pump and filters
Fuel lines
Spark plug
Adjusted valves
Carburetor
Gas pedal stop switch
Ignition coil
Mxrider3371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G8 won’t run

If you replaced the carb with a cheap $30 chinese Ebay carb then I'd say your issue is the carb. Those things are terrible.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:29 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

First, I agree with Slonomo on the carb. Completely disassemble the original, clean, and try it again.

Ok, that's a lot of parts to throw at a problem. What order did you do all that, and "all at once", or "one by one, with no success after each"? (Never "shotgun method" the repair, one thing at a time)

Next will be "what's the compression"? Do you have spark? Does the gas pedal actually open the carburetor lever? (This one is often overlooked, please verify). Is the airbox full of a bunch of oil, flooding the air filter? If you spray (just a little) starting fluid into the carb throat, does it briefly start?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If you spray (just a little) starting fluid into the carb throat, does it briefly start?
Be careful if you use Ether/starting fluid. A "one second spray" is all you need. Give it 5-10 seconds to start to evaporate. Then try it. If you spray too much and there is wet ether in the cylinder, you could have a massive explosion. Ether is several times more volatile than gasoline, and there is no oil in it (usually). If you buy a good brand it will be a "tuned down" version of the high powered stuff and it will have oil in it. Spend a good $6-$10 on a good brand of starting fluid.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Mxrider3371
Not Yet Wild

I went through the original carb and cleaned it twice myself and once a small engine mechanic also went through it. Yes I have spark. Here’s the list in order of the parts I replaced and yes I did one repair at a time trying to find the problem.

Carb cleaned 3 times jets bowls needle floats all good
Spark plug
Adjust valves
Fuel filters and lines
Fuel pump
Ignition coil
Gas pedal stop switch.

My problem started as intermittent. Normally when cold was hard to start and popped and backfired first few min then would take off like a bat out of hell only to repeat a minute later. But at times we would go days of it running totally fine, but as of now she’s DEAD IN THE WATER
Old 09-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Mxrider3371
Not Yet Wild

Anyone?????
Old 09-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It's very difficult to diagnose an intermittent problem without putting hands and eyeballs on it. But I'll try.

In cases like this, basics are the first thing:
1. compression to spec
2. valve lash to spec
3. fuel delivery
4. spark quality
5. air quality
6. fuel quality

If you have all the basics in good order, to spec, the only thing left is timing. On some engines, timing is controlled by the CDI unit. The CDI is an electronic device that has potted circuitry inside. That potting material can expand and contract with heat/cold and can break connections inside the circuitry. We used to test control modules by putting them under a heat lamp for 5 minutes and running them through the same tests. Some CDI's can be tested. Check with your local dealer for the procedure.

Timing is also controlled by the flywheel position in relation to the crank and cam. Without disassembling the engine, one cannot verify the physical position of the engine parts.

It's also possible that some wiring on the cart might be messed up. I've seen 2 year old carts that had mice. Mice like to chew up wire insulation. When that happens, you can get shorts. Shorts will cause running issues, charging issues, starting issues....all kinds of issues.

Also, connections should be checked on all wires, cleaned, and tightened up. Corrosion happens on loose connections, especially if moisture is present. So all the wiring connections should be inspected, cleaned, and repaired if needed. I use dielectric grease on any connection that is exposed to moisture, and on a cart, it's most of them.

Hope this helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha