lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
proky1
Not Yet Wild

Default Spark in Reverse but no spark in forward

I recently purchased a 1983 G1. The guy who sold it to me was having trouble with spark. Would work fine in forward and reverse, until it was warm, then when you let off the gas and it quits, once you try to go again, it has no spark. Flip it over to reverse and away you go. I confirmed its a spark issue by pulling the plug and checking. He ordered a new CDI for it from Ebay(Lingen Motoparts), but same issue. I contacted the CDI seller on ebay and he said this doesnt sound like a cdi issue, it sounds like a pulsar coil issue. I kind of beleive him because the old CDI did the same as his new one. I see he has a new coil, spark plug, and spark plug wire installed on the card. So i signed up to BGW as i seen kwest0425 had a great write up on a similar issue, and he found his stator plate had come lose. I opened up the flywheel and my stator is good and tight. So then i found kwest0425's write up about checking the pulser coil and here's what i found with mine

When its cold and has spark in forward and reverse:

White/Green=15ohm in Forward
White/Green=Open in off position
White/Greeen=2ohm in Reverse

White/Red=grounded in Forward
White/Red=Open in Off position
White/Red=12ohms in Reverse

So i then jacked the cart up and ran it for a few minutes in forward to heat it up, let off the gas, switched the key to reverse and it fires up, switched it back to forward and low and behold, it wont start(no spark). So then i tested everything again.

Whit/Green=0.6ohm in forward
White/Green=0.7ohm in Off position
White/Green=Open in Reverse

White/Red=6.6ohm in Forward
White/Red=8.4ohm in Off position
White/Red=Open in Reverse

So? Is this telling me the pulsar coil is pooched? Physically when i look at the pulsar coil, it looks like the insulation tape on the outside is distressed or warn. I wonder if it got hot or shorted out. Does this make sense that it would have spark in Reverse but not forward?

I should also say i did the cutoff switches test when it had no forward spark(Key off and pedal up, the black/white wire was grounded. With the key on in forward and reverse and the gas pedal down, black/white was Open)

Is this a Pulsar coil issue? Only other thing i could guess it might be is the key switch, but i believe the black/white wire test proves its not the key. And if it were the key i would think the starter/generator wouldnt spin in forward(maybe im wrong here).

I tried to message kwest0425 but im too new of a member to be able to PM. Any help would be awesome, Thanks.
proky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha