lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default TC Charger error message on Zeva

I am finally getting close to completing my lithium conversion. Bench testing is going okay, until hooking up the charger. I got an error message that said Input voltage error. Also, it said the output voltage was 75v. My cart is a 72V cart with 10 Leaf Modules running 82v. I would appreciate any help on clearing this up. It is controlled by CAN so it should be pretty straight forward, I would have thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc error.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: TC Charger error message on Zeva

Is your ZEVA BMS a "BMS 16 V2" model?

If so, from what I read in the instructions on page 9, the Charger voltage parameters are 0-70V.

Do you have information that shows the parameters are different?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by somfas View Post
I am finally getting close to completing my lithium conversion. Bench testing is going okay, until hooking up the charger. I got an error message that said Input voltage error. Also, it said the output voltage was 75v. My cart is a 72V cart with 10 Leaf Modules running 82v. I would appreciate any help on clearing this up. It is controlled by CAN so it should be pretty straight forward, I would have thought.
Mark, check to see if there is a place in the TC settings to choose input voltage of 120VAC. I thought that the TC was dual voltage and auto sensing of the input voltage, but I may be wrong. Seems that E36Racer had a similar issue 2 years ago on his initial startup.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

DaveTM, he uses the high end EVMS3 which goes to 500v on the TC charger parameter.

As I recall that issue was "cosmetic" only and it did not prevent the charger from working.

Did You verify your "charger enable" 120VAC relay was closing and providing "ground" to the EVMS3 "charger sensing" terminal?

Keep in mind that if you did not bond the 12v negative to the pack negative then "ground" refers to your 12v battery and not the pack negative.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
DaveTM, he uses the high end EVMS3 which goes to 500v on the TC charger parameter.

As I recall that issue was "cosmetic" only and it did not prevent the charger from working.

Did You verify your "charger enable" 120VAC relay was closing and providing "ground" to the EVMS3 "charger sensing" terminal?

Keep in mind that if you did not bond the 12v negative to the pack negative then "ground" refers to your 12v battery and not the pack negative.
Great point Sergio and I think that is the problem. He is using a separate 12V battery for lights and for the BMS power. He will have to relocate the source of his 'ground' from pack negative to the 12V negative of the aux battery. Thank you, again.

The new and hopefully, final copy of his 72V pack wiring with Zeva EVMS3 BMS and TC Charger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EVMS - Cart Wiring - Mark Whittington.pdf (176.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks for the help! I swapped over the relay wire from pack voltage to 12v, but it didn't change anything.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You mean you swapped the pack negative B- wire that connected to the 12Vac relay contact to the 12v battery negative wire?

If so, You need to give us more details like what is the current pack voltage and what are your voltage settings for the charger.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
somfas
Gone Wild

Here are the settings I am using. I set the pack voltage to 78v just to watch it and confirm it would cut off. It reached 78.4 at its highest and then started lowering the charging amps output. Now the pack sits at 78.2. So, it seems that the system is working now. I still have the error message on the display (about input voltage). I will ask Ian about that unless you have anymore suggestions. Gary sent the template to me to fill out, and post here. May be a good idea to sticky it for future EVMS3 users? Once the correct numbers are in of course.

With regards to swapping the wires Sergio, the Charge sense relay; there are 4 wires. 2 go to 110v supply. The other two go to Charge Sense on the EVMS3 and to a 12v - source. I had that 12v - wire attached to the battery pack (76v) - erroneously. But, changed it to a 12v-.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EVMS3 settings.pdf (102.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is correct now, as I mentioned that error you are getting is "cosmetic" and it does not prevent the charger from working.

As far as I know there is no way to prevent that error message from appearing other than getting a new charger configured for a fixed input voltage of 120VAC.

The lack of proper negative (from 12v battery rather than lithium pack negative) on the charger sense terminal is what was preventing the charge.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #10
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is correct now, as I mentioned that error you are getting is "cosmetic" and it does not prevent the charger from working.

As far as I know there is no way to prevent that error message from appearing other than getting a new charger configured for a fixed input voltage of 120VAC.

The lack of proper negative (from 12v battery rather than lithium pack negative) on the charger sense terminal is what was preventing the charge.

Funny how long it takes to remember something these days. The cosmetic term rung a bell. Same error issues that Frank and John had with their EVMS3 and TC due to not specifically configured for 110VAC. Thanks for waking me up!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO