lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
Eric6
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor Cuts out on incline

I have a Zone electric golf cart (48v) with a Curtis 1268 controller. Going up an incline the motor cuts out. I tested the batteries today (specific gravity) and they were all at 1.275. Wondering if there is a setting on the controller that would cause this issue. Thanks.
Eric6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
Threeput
Gone Wild

Default Re: Motor Cuts out on incline

I would put a voltmeter across the battery....and monitor it when going up that incline to see what the voltage drops to when it quits....could be a resistive connection
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
Eric6
Not Yet Wild

OK thank you. I'll do that this weekend when I have time.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Easier yet buy an inexpensive digital voltmeter and install it in the dash. Then you can see what the voltage drop is when the cart cuts out... and you will know when exactly the cart needs to be put back on the charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
Eric6
Not Yet Wild

After full charge, battery pack is at 49.8v (( 6v batteries). While moving down the road at a fairly good pace, the voltage drops to 43v.

While going up an incline, and the motor cuts out, the voltage doesn't seem to drop that much. Also, on an incline, after the motor drops out, the cart won't move until the accelerator is completely released, then once pressure is reapplied to the accelerator, the cart will move.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
Threeput
Gone Wild

Looks like to me your batteries are not holding up.....a battery will rebound after the load has been taken off...as you say it started up again...
How old are the batteries...or is the electrolyte level OK in all cells...or it could be one of the 6v batteries is faulty...or a slack connection on the posts
Yet your reading of 43V under load is normal under load...but going up the incline it should not drop any lower than 42 volts
Old 12-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6 View Post
After full charge, battery pack is at 49.8v (( 6v batteries). While moving down the road at a fairly good pace, the voltage drops to 43v.

While going up an incline, and the motor cuts out, the voltage doesn't seem to drop that much. ...
When you say "not that much" up the hill.....what exactly does that mean?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
Eric6
Not Yet Wild

As far as, how much the battery voltage drops off on an incline, it is hard to tell. When I come off the road into the driveway the curb has been beveled, but it is still a moderate bump which sometimes the cart will die there and sometimes not. On an inclined hill, it has to be fairly steep for the motor to quit.

In the process of replacing some of the battery cables that are looking somewhat questionable (cracked outer sheathing).

I am still wondering if it is controller related.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
Threeput
Gone Wild

A "bump" failure could mean a slack connection on the posts...I still think it's battery related...seems OK on the flat..but when asked to do 'extra work" on incline it fails...
Old 12-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Id bet its battery related as well because what your describing sounds like the low voltage cut out.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, curtis, electric, incline
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts