lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
dave1shere
Not Yet Wild

Default runaway clutch

I have a 1996 club car that I have just changed the clutch on. I was having a problem with the clutch sticky, and it would feel like the car would run away when I would, press down on the gas pedal. Changing the clutch, fixed the sticky problem, but I still have the problem of the cart wanting to take off as if the clutch is trying to go to high-speed also when I go in reverse it seems to grab when I let off the gas pedal. I only changed out the drive clutch, not the driven clutch. My question is, could this be a Governor problem. Or do I need to change out the driven clutch. I have watched the clutch action with it in neutral position, and I don't see the pulsing that has been a problem with some other carts. I've checked with throttle cable, and there doesn't seem to be a problem there either.

thanks for any help.
Dave
dave1shere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: runaway clutch

Can you elaborate a little more on the "running away" discription?
I've had girls run away but never a clutch!

When you push the pedal are you saying the cart goes to WOT with no in between?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

im confused also
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
im confused also
They have pills for that BD!

Want a couple of mine?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
dave1shere
Not Yet Wild

What it seems to do is when I first pressed down on the gas pedal it seems to take off very rapidly to what could be considered WOT. Then I have to feather the pedal out to try to get it to go to a slower speed but the slower speed cannot be maintained for any length of time. Another problem is when I go into reverse it will start to speed up so I have to let off on the gas pedal and that is when the whole cart jerks as it is moving backwards - at that point it is better to just stop and try to go forward to make it release from reverse. I am trying my best to describe this...wish I had a video to show you.

We were told one time that the governor in the transmission was going to fail in the future - could this be the problem. Anyone have experience on how difficult it is to replace this.....i

Thanks for any ideas

Dave
dave1shere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Dave, that kinda sounds like your throttle is stuck open and your "feathering" is just cutting the micro switch off and on.
Turn your key off and watch the carb throttle arm to see it is opening and closing smoothly when you push the pedal down and up.
If it is, check in the carb to see if the round brass throttle plate is still in it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car