lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Lightbulb 97 key start : Shut it off still runs!

It's been a pretty good summer for me not having problems with my cart. Just keeping the oil fresh since I run it 20 hours a week or so. Chased down a couple of minor issues but for the most part smooth sailing. Was afraid to come in here and talk about it or I might mess with my mojo...... but then.

This past weekend the final night of me using it for the week I got back to the garage and turned it off by the key and it kept running. I thought 'That aint right!' I opened the hatch and looked down at the engine and yep, sure enough. That engine is running! I kinda wonder 'how my gonna get the engine to stop?' So I figure the easiest way to stop it from running is to take the battery away.

So I disconnect the ground from the battery and it stops. I hook it back up and it starts running again....off again, stops, back on, starts. Hmmmm. Since it's 4am after a long night working I just leave it off and go home. After a busy week of other things to do I finally get back to it today to see what's going on. I'm gonna go to it in a few hours to mess around.

I think it's a micro switch, or the relay switch. Since it's a key start it has a relay in place of one of the micro switches in the black box. Am I heading the right way with this or is there another thing I should be looking at? I don't know what else would cause something like this. I want to get as many of the possible causes in mind to check. I'm pretty sure the ignition switch is good, All the other electrical shut off when I turn the key to off. Lights, radio everything except the engine turns off when the key goes to off. So I figure something else is allowing the power to continue to flow to the engine and that leads me logically to a micro switch or the relay. I hope it's an easy fix like that.

Any of ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
Pipsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
papaw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 97 key start : Shut it off still runs!

Yep sounds like micro switch or your starter sol.
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

The starter solenoid is the one in the black box... correct? If it is that one and it is the faulty part wouldn't more than just the engine still have power since it flows power to the whole cart? Or is there another solenoid I am missing?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

no theres only one solenoid.......................................... .......
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

After doing some testing it appears the solenoid stuck in the open current position. I didn't get a chance to get the part and put it in but first thing tomorrow I will put in the solenoid I bought today. I'll wait until it's not 110 degrees to get back to it. First light it'll be a tolerable temp.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Give it a few taps with the end of a larger screwdriver or something about the same weight. It may click back apart. I don't know if you can open up these solenoids or not, some of the older ones you could take apart and clean the contacts up put it back together and get a few more years out of them. Usually what happens is they start arcing and sort of weld the contacts together.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you did buy a golfcart soleniod right? if not try and take it back and order a golfcart solenoid..................................
Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Yea.. got the clubcar part numbered part from the cheapest source on clubcar parts here in phoenix.... at the thermo-king repair and part warehouse...lol. They are also authorized for clubcar parts and repair.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Solenoid replaced and the cart is back to normal! Yippee, just in time for the 3 day weekend which should be good for me. Need biz to start to pick back up!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

glad we could all help and and thanks for putting results up it might just help someone else out.......................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car