lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Speeding up your Club Car

So you want your Club Car to get up and go? You've come to the right post.

First off, you must realize you're ultimately hurting your cart by doing this! You're also risking hurting yourself.

Under the driver side floorpan, you will see a rod linking the gas pedal to the black box pivot. Remove this rod and lengthen it to the longest it will go without being wobbly. Make sure the spring actuated hold downs are back in the same position they came off in. Before you replace this, loosen the nyloc nut on the accelerator pedal return spring until there are only about 1/4" of visible threads left on the end of the rod. Replace the accelerator rod.

On the primary accelerator cable, there is a spring between it and the governor arm on the transaxle. Gather at least 3 zip ties of around 4" length. Put 3 on the spring in equally spaced increments. Have a friend hold the gas pedal to the floor in maintenance mode. Tighten each zip tie equally until the engine shuts down. You have two options at this point: either cut the zip ties and put new ones on SLIGHTLY looser, or put a small amount of cable back into the black box. You can also remove the ground strap from the RPM limiter assembly and tighten the zip ties all the way down, but this would take your engine into the "danger zone" RPMs.

Do you have a real need for speed?

If so, do not do any of the steps aforementioned EXCEPT removing the RPM limiter ground strap! Remove your access panel on the rear body. On the governor arm atop the transaxle, there is a clamping device that holds the arm tight to the shaft coming out of the transaxle. Loosen the 11mm nut on that about 3 turns. Spray a SMALL AMOUNT of WD-40 directly around the shaft and ensure the arm moves freely. Now you have successfully, completely bypassed your governor. Now, BUY A TACHOMETER!!!

Club Car Transaxle

-Note: This is for a 1996 and older transaxle. The 1997 and newer units have the arm in a different location but it works the same way.

Last edited by roady89; 03-09-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Adding picture
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
ranchbuggie
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Speeding up your Club Car

Hello To Everyone,

I'm glad to have joined such an informative forum and looking forward to gaining and sharing tribal knowledge amongst the entire group. I have a 1999 Club Car, Gas, lift, Hella lights, 2 in 1 seat, and a few more extras. I really enjoy it but, always looking for ways to enhance it's performance. ( More Torque and a little more speed ).

A.J.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Speeding up your Club Car

Welcome to the forum A.J. There's a bunch of great people and Info here, and always will in help whatever way we can!

(In order for you to get a REAL welcome... sign in at the "Guest book" on the main page 3/4 of the way down!)

Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

For more torque, remove your driven clutch and send it to Cart Parts Plus for machining and a torque spring installation. You can also order a +200 RPM engagement spring for the drive clutch.

I just got a load of 1999 Club Cars in. I'll take some pictures if you me too to guide with the governor adjustment.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
rmjohnson00
Not Yet Wild

Greetings,
I have a 01 cc ds that I have acquired over the summer.
Speed gears with minor adjustment is at 26mph, stock tires soon to be 12's.
Still looking for more speed and this clutch machining talk has me interested.
Any advise on craftsmen and pricing for the clutch work.
No hills to traverse, just top end speed.
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

rmjohnson00-- call a dealer that specializes in that type of stuff.. note: not me, I dont....

I think cart parts plus deals with performance clutches. etc... http://www.cartpartsplus.com/machini...en-clutch.html
Old 11-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Cart Parts Plus for the clutch machining. You can send them your driven clutch if you want more take-off. Send both and they should be able to get your top speed way up there. A person took Tom's idea and machined the heck out of his driven and drive clutches and was able to get 30.3mph out of a 1995 Club Car with stock gears. The engine was turning 5,350 RPMs doing that.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
rmjohnson00
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for your informative responses.
Couple of questions.
What is the maximum for safe operating RPM's.
I would like to retain the rev limiter to prevent damage internally.
In machining both clutches, does this have a direct affect on the engine rev?
5350 is up there?
Also, are there available mods for intake or exhaust systems?
Maybe k&n with new jets on the carb?
Thanks, RJ
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjohnson00 View Post
What is the maximum for safe operating RPM's.
Try to keep it under 4600 if you can. 4200-4400 is about where the "comfort zone" stops. The highest I've seen these engines go is 6000. They run around 2700 give-or-take on the factory governor setting.

Quote:
I would like to retain the rev limiter to prevent damage internally.
A grand idea! 3800 is plenty if your clutches are machined right.

Quote:
In machining both clutches, does this have a direct affect on the engine rev?
Less RPMs = more speed. You will have more take-off power as well as more top end speed.

Quote:
5350 is up there?
Taking into consideration that most automobile engines from the 1970s and 1980s wouldn't rev 5000 without modifications, it's impressive for a small engine. You don't want to do it for long, though. Oil pools in the head and gets forced around the valve seals and causes it to smoke. General Motors's Atlas (2.9L I4, 3.7L I5, and 4.2L I6) engines have the same problem around 7300 RPMs.

Quote:
Also, are there available mods for intake or exhaust systems?
Maybe k&n with new jets on the carb?
These engines need a certain amount of back pressure to run correctly. You could thin out your muffler a little, but I would not ditch it altogether.

Try just the K&N intake to begin with. Club Car's carburetors are jetted from the factory pretty close to what the K&N needs. If you still don't have enough power/speed, you can get the aftermarket jets.

If I may make an additional suggestion, I would recommend milling ten thousandths off the cylinder head, adding shims to the valve springs, and boring the cylinder for a +.050 piston and rings.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

Or too save alot of trouble you could just sell your CC and buy a Yamaha!!!
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car