lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
mmeyer
Not Yet Wild

Default "Spinning" Noise from Clutch After Stopping

2005 DS makes what sounds like a "spinning" noise from clutch after stopping. It's as if something keeps running after you stop the cart/engine. It gradually slows down until it completely stops. Does this every time you start/stop the cart.

Noise sounds like something metal contacting another metal part and one of them is spinning. That's what makes me think it's coming from inside the clutch.

This all started about the same time the clutch started grabbing very hard when the engine revs up. It used to take off smoothly. Now it "grabs" at a certain point. Not sure if they're related. Would like to eliminate both problems.

Have done nothing to the clutch/belts/engine.

All help greatly appreciated.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: "Spinning" Noise from Clutch After Stopping

have you watched the clutches to see just whats going on as this happens.........its possible its a clutch issue..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
mmeyer
Not Yet Wild

I tried observing the clutch, but can't do it with the engine in neutral. Whenever I move the "neutral lockout" cam to the "neutral" position, the engine won't start. It does nothing. Hence, I can't observe the engine/clutch when it's running.

The "spinning" noise is definitely coming from the clutch housing. Could something be loose inside?

Even if I could observe the engine running in neutral, I couldn't see the drive belt engage.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
weedwacker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I tried observing the clutch, but can't do it with the engine in neutral. Whenever I move the "neutral lockout" cam to the "neutral" position, the engine won't start. It does nothing. Hence, I can't observe the engine/clutch when it's running.

The "spinning" noise is definitely coming from the clutch housing. Could something be loose inside?

Even if I could observe the engine running in neutral, I couldn't see the drive belt engage.
You can put the cart in maintinance mode and observe engine and clutch operation. Put the cart in neutral, remove seat, pull the cam connected to the F,N,R (yellow I believe) lever and turn it 180 degrees. This will allow the engine to start when the gas pedal is pushed without the cart moving.

Last edited by weedwacker; 06-05-2012 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: mis-spelled word
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
mmeyer
Not Yet Wild

I have tried using "Maintenance Mode" several times, but it doesn't work. Engine won't even start that way. Moved the cam correctly. Have tried depressing the gas pedal when in Neutral and in Forward. Nothing works.

I know the "spinning" sound is coming from inside the clutch housing. When the engine shuts off, the sound slowly winds down. It's as if something inside the clutch is spinning until it slowly stops. It sounds like "metal rubbing lightly against metal".

When the engine stops, does anything in the clutch housing remain moving that would account for this? Could something have be broken that would allow for this?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

When the engine stops, does anything in the clutch housing remain moving that would account for this?

No take the clutch off and repair before you do more damage!
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
mmeyer
Not Yet Wild

I have no idea how to take the clutch off/apart. Is it something simple? Anything to watch out for or be aware of?

Would love to do this just to take a look inside. Looking for instructions/pointers.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
weedwacker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I have tried using "Maintenance Mode" several times, but it doesn't work. Engine won't even start that way. Moved the cam correctly. Have tried depressing the gas pedal when in Neutral and in Forward. Nothing works.

I know the "spinning" sound is coming from inside the clutch housing. When the engine shuts off, the sound slowly winds down. It's as if something inside the clutch is spinning until it slowly stops. It sounds like "metal rubbing lightly against metal".

When the engine stops, does anything in the clutch housing remain moving that would account for this? Could something have be broken that would allow for this?
Assuming the key is turned to the on position I have no idea why you cart doesn't start in maintance mode. As far as the noise is concerned. On the drive clutch between the two clutch faces is a bearing which the drive belt rests on. While the engine in spinning but yet not fast enough to engage the clutch and move the belt up the clutch faces the belt rests on this bearing. You may be hearing that.
weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
mmeyer
Not Yet Wild

I doubt that's it. This noise takes 10-15 seconds to slowly go away AFTER engine is completely stopped.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
TomC
Not Yet Wild

I have several like this. Jack up the cart. Start engine. Observe the front clutch. The little sleeve between the two faces is what spins. Look under the belt after engine stops and you can see it spinning. I have no clue on a way to fix this. Anyone?
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car