lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Default 1988 ez go not running

I jet inherited an 88 ez go gas 2 pg. I just got it tonight and I already pulled the motor. I've got a new top end kit to install. The rings on the piston are definitely shot, I can see that through the exhaust port. My question is how can I check to see if I need a total rebuild?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1988 ez go not running

Pull the jug off and see if you have very much side to side play on the rod bearing. If it rattles then I would go with rebuild. You may be able to use the jug if it is not scored to much and a light honing can clean it up for new piston and rings. But I would install new seals in any event. If you plan on keeping the unit for a long time I would just brake for a long block and you get, crank with rod, bearings, seals, piston and rings and gaskets for a new engine basiclly.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with redcloud, but if you already have the top end kit I would still split the case and replace the main bearings and seals while you have it down. I did not replace my crank and rod but did install new bearings and seals. I bought the bearings and seals through a local bearing supply house for less than $45. Cheap insurance if you plan to keep it long. It took less than 2 extra hours to rebuilt taking it all the way down to do the bearings and seals. As far as splitting the crank case, I just used Loctite gasket eliminator to seal it back up. Good luck
2 STROKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Morgan44
Gone Wild

You know anywhere I could get the bottom end repair kit. I've seen two choices through distemper sponsors, top end or total rebuild kit. Of course the top end kit came with the cart for free because it was the suspected problem. I'd hate to have to buy the whole rebuild kit when I already have the top end kit. Any ideas?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

What are you wanting in a bottom end rebuild? Complete crank/rod assembly with bearings, seals and gaskets? Or just bearings, seals and gaskets? From what i can remember a crank and rod will run you just under $300 by itself plus gaskets and bearings. If that is the way you want to go you would almost be money ahead to by a complete engine overhaul and save your top end rebuild for next time or sell it.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Well, I'm not sure. I'm going to be tearing into her tomorrow if the weather holds out. I guess I may need all of it or none of it. I was just wondering if I could get the "bottom end" parts to go along with my top end kit I already have. Who do you guys use for parts? I don't have anyone local that I know of. This is all new to me, but I'm pretty handy. I also want to do the HEI upgrade once I'm sure I can get her running. I'm sure there will be plenty of questions to follow once I get into it. (I'm also a forum junky.) Thanks for the help!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

There are a lot of places out there to get parts, one in particular is buggiesunlimited.com
They carry just about everything you could want. Yes you can get just the bottom end kit, but it is not very cheap.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
Morgan44
Gone Wild

You see any reason I couldn't do the HEI upgrade to my 2 pg? Is the nova parts mentioned in the sticky still the way to go?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That's what I did last month, all parts worked out fine. This will work just fine on the 2PG. However, just my 2 cents though, once you have the rebuild up and running, then do HEI upgrade. You don't want to make to many changes at one time because it makes it tougher to troubleshoot. That way if something is not working properly you are not trying to figure out what all you changed. You can just focus on either the rebuild or the HEI convertion. I did my complete rebuild and HEI convertion all at one time and now wish I had done one then the other. HEI is very easy and should not give you and problems. Just my 2 cents worth. Someone else my tell you differently.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Your right. I agree, I'm just excited I think. I hope you check back tomorrow, after I'm in a mess with the rebuild. I'm not sure I follow what else to look for when I'm doing the top end. Hopefully I'll understand when I'm knee deep in it. I'll be beck with questions I'm sure. Did you use the nova parts like in the sticky?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO