lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Default new starter/generator on g29 and now its not running well. any ideas?

so a Fuel injected yamaha g29 came into the shop and it wasnt charging, would run great but was only charging around 9-10 volts instead of the normal 13-14. so i ordered a new starter/generator and installed it today and now the cart isnt running worth a ****. just spitting and spuddering, looks like it has a week spark. any ideas what could of happened?
CustomGolfCartGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: new starter/generator on g29 and now its not running well. any ideas?

Not to ask a dumb question or sound condescending, is the starter spinning the motor the correct way, i have had guys hook it up backwards.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Default Re: new starter/generator on g29 and now its not running well. any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6246 View Post
Not to ask a dumb question or sound condescending, is the starter spinning the motor the correct way, i have had guys hook it up backwards.
not a dumb questions i could of seen that happening if someone just took all 4 wires off and put them back on wrong.

it is turning the right way, the direction wire came installed on it so i couldnt of installed it backwards unless i took that off.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

well we installed the old one and it fired up and runs perfectly, so i am going to throw the new one in a box and send it back and just rebuild the orginal. no idea why it doestn run with it on. makes no sense to me, oh well though the original can be rebuilt
Old 09-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Did you ask yourself why such a new cart needed a starter?
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Did you ask yourself why such a new cart needed a starter?
Yep. The voltage regulator wires were over crimped (very common on these) and usually you just have to replace the pigtail wiring but in this case it looks like it was arcing and causing failure. We work on roughly 5 of these a week so I'm pretty familiar wit the g29's. Also the conclusion to this story is that the new generator was bad, we had it tested . 450 dollars from Nivel and it's no good.😳😳 gonna just rebuild the original now..
Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Just wondering why you would pay Nivel $450 for a s/g--probably aftermarket-- when the OEM s/g is available on Amazon or Boats.net for < $250??

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...100-04-00.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyscustoms View Post
Yep. The voltage regulator wires were over crimped (very common on these) and usually you just have to replace the pigtail wiring but in this case it looks like it was arcing and causing failure. We work on roughly 5 of these a week so I'm pretty familiar wit the g29's. Also the conclusion to this story is that the new generator was bad, we had it tested . 450 dollars from Nivel and it's no good.😳😳 gonna just rebuild the original now..

All you had to say was NIVEL.

I'm curious about the over crimp you talk about. Ive worked on hundreds of the G29 and have not seen this yet. Do you have a picture of this? Thanks in advance
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Seems to only happen to EFI car's, mostly fleet use car's. One of the wires, (red/green/black) brakes off right at the metal clip installed into the plastic AVR plug. Yamaha did come out with a wire harness "Fix" kit for it. Now if they could just do the same for "error code 22 (as I recall) "air temperature sensor" wire harness problem.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Just wondering why you would pay Nivel $450 for a s/g--probably aftermarket-- when the OEM s/g is available on Amazon or Boats.net for < $250??

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...100-04-00.html
450 is msrp not what I Pay I was just using that as a example. Just happened to be a bad egg because after doing some looking it seems to be an one in a million case
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha