lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #21
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 G1 engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
I'm 99.9% sure the head and jug are interchaneable. The head is different i think due to the chamber being larger in 82 for lower compression. The jug may be the same but could have different port timing?? along with a restricted intake port. the intake boot is different for sure but from what ive seen, people have had no problems using the readily available 79-81+83 up intake, carb and exhaust. These items will just help it breath better and when used as a combo i doubt would require much if any carb adjustments

I have 2 82 engines that both need work and my runner is an 84 but I'm not willing to tear it down for comparison. Its the strangest thing but every time a G1 comes up for sale close to me the **** thing is an 82!
I have been doing a lot of research and have come across some really good info in addition to this thread with all the great replies! One that has peaked my interest is the Enticer thread found here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...0-project.html

Since I am at a point where I probably need exhaust, carb, and top end, I am thinking why not try something different. I am going to price some things out and see what I come up with. Here is what I am seeing as my options right now:

1.) Buy an over sized piston and rings kit, install it and see what happens (my guess is that i will need to either adjust the carb or get the larger one and the exhaust will be problematic)
2.) Buy a top end kit for the 79-81 or 83+, and reed assembly, install it and see what happens. (guessing again will need exhaust and carb tweaks or new)
3.) Do a top end from an enticer 250. Will need to change carb for sure and possibly exhaust.

If anyone has any other options I missed please chime in. So now to price this out and see which direction I want to go.
willis68nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #22
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Phew! I thought you were going to try to use your old piston.

You'll need carb adjustments no matter what so don't be too concerned about that.

You aren't looking at a ton for the oversized piston, rings and bore. You might as well try it out. The enticer conversion would get you a race car which is cool as well.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #23
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Phew! I thought you were going to try to use your old piston.

You'll need carb adjustments no matter what so don't be too concerned about that.

You aren't looking at a ton for the oversized piston, rings and bore. You might as well try it out. The enticer conversion would get you a race car which is cool as well.
Haha...my normal response would have been something like this. Yeah check this piston out, I'm going to JB weld it up and run it!!...haha But this time I am going to do it some what correct.

Does anyone know if the carb I have is any different from the 79-81 or 83+ carbs? I cleaned it up and it looks like it says J10 on it. Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #24
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have looked into this myself and would be careful messing around with the enticer 250 swap if you can't get a stock or near stock exhaust and carbs for it. I've learned that 2 strokes don't run the best if the right back pressure isn't achieved through exhaust pressure. The factory exhaust and carbs are tuned just right for the motor. It's the same bottom end but it's more involved than a jug and piston swap. Just my 2 cents on it.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #25
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
I have looked into this myself and would be careful messing around with the enticer 250 swap if you can't get a stock or near stock exhaust and carbs for it. I've learned that 2 strokes don't run the best if the right back pressure isn't achieved through exhaust pressure. The factory exhaust and carbs are tuned just right for the motor. It's the same bottom end but it's more involved than a jug and piston swap. Just my 2 cents on it.
Thanks for the reply. After doing more research it does look like the enticer swpa is more than what I really want to do. I am leaning towards a bore and oversized piston. One thing I didn't research too much is an enticer head swap. I might look into that or getting my existing head decked to up the compression a little nothing crazy. Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #26
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Id still love to do the 250 bravo swap. Problem is sleds are very hard to find in florida

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...lockin-g1.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #27
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis68nova View Post
Thanks for the reply. After doing more research it does look like the enticer swpa is more than what I really want to do. I am leaning towards a bore and oversized piston. One thing I didn't research too much is an enticer head swap. I might look into that or getting my existing head decked to up the compression a little nothing crazy. Thoughts?

We're only talking a few psi difference between the years. I believe 82's should be 100 - 110 psi and the other models are around 110 -120 psi. In a golf cart there won't be any noticeable difference until you start getting into bigger displacement. So paying to have someone deck the head would be a waste of time and money in my opinion.These little motors do run good and are reliable once you get them running right. Having it bored and swapping in a bigger piston would be my first choice if the rest of the motor seems ok.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #28
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
We're only talking a few psi difference between the years. I believe 82's should be 100 - 110 psi and the other models are around 110 -120 psi. In a golf cart there won't be any noticeable difference until you start getting into bigger displacement. So paying to have someone deck the head would be a waste of time and money in my opinion.These little motors do run good and are reliable once you get them running right. Having it bored and swapping in a bigger piston would be my first choice if the rest of the motor seems ok.
Understood. The nice thing is I can get the machine work done cheap or even free, a buddy has his own equipment. So if it doesn't cost me anything I might just do it. But all that being said I am usually impatient so I will most likely get it bored and put the piston in and let it roll. I'll update once I get some measurements and get the parts ordered so we can bore it out.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #29
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

if the machine work is cheap or free id mill the head my self, not much but enough to raise compression a bit. source the newer intake boot and carb, make sure the exhaust is clean (BBQ) do crank seals and let it roll.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #30
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
if the machine work is cheap or free id mill the head my self, not much but enough to raise compression a bit. source the newer intake boot and carb, make sure the exhaust is clean (BBQ) do crank seals and let it roll.
Any guides out there for how much I can deck the head? Or just do a test to see how much room I have between the piston and spark plug (if it hangs down lower than the lowest part of the head, I haven't looked that close).

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha