lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
Phantom73
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 2014 Gas Club Car Precedent starting and charginging problem.

Hi. If this problem has already been addressed elswhere, I apologize. I have looked everywhere but just cant quite clear up my confusion. My husband and his friend are working on a 2014 Gas Club Car Precedent. The original problem: it would do nothing when pressing on the gas pedal. They did a bunch of diagnostics with the ohm meter and concluded that the problem is the accelerator switch under the pedal. When trying to find a replacement, I see the term Mcor used, however, other places call it a Gcor. If I understand the info I've found, Mcor is for electric only, and Gcor is for gas. But when I try to find one everyone calls it an Mcor. I have even looked in the parts catalog for this specific model year, and while the part is there, it says n/a under part number. I am just unsure about buying an expesive part if its not the right one.
Anyway, they decided to try to bypass the "Gcor" using a toggle switch (somehow) instead. Now it runs fine, but the battery is not staying charged. From what I have read in several posts here, I'm thinking it has something to do with how they have this "toggle bypass" wired to the solonoid. I have deen alot about a diode, but dint know if that is electric model only. Its all ptetty confusing to me, as a lot of the info I find pertains to the electric models, and I can only assume they are wired a little differently. But it seems like maybe the solonoid is not staying "open".
So I have 1 main question needing answered, and a couple of questions for my sanity. The big question is this; Can this Gcor part be completly and permanently bypassed, and if so, how would one accomplish this?
My sanity questions are:Mcor or Gcor? And are they just the same part? And if I decide to just replace it. What do I get. Or do I have to replace the entire pedal assembly? Sorry this post is so long.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Phantom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2014 Gas Club Car Precedent starting and charginging problem.

MCOR is only on the electric carts.

A GCOR is only on gas carts, and There is a big difference between the two. The GCOR has two switches, a start switch to ground the solenoid coil, and a kill switch for the ignition coil.
There may be some aftermarket versions of the GCOR out there, but I wouldn't trust the as far as I could throw them.
The best place to get a new GCOR is through an original Club Car parts dealer.
Call David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars. 706-431-3917 http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/
He will need the serial number off the cart, but he will make sure you get the correct part that fits your cart to fix it. He's a site sponsor here and knows Club Car cars inside and out.

The reason your battery is not charging is probably that after the cart gets running is your husband turning off the switch? The starter generator charges through the solenoid, so if you turn off the switch, the solenoid opens and then it can't charge the battery. The solenoid is designed to stay energized the entire time the engine is running, so if you're driving the cart the switch needs to be left ON so the solenoid stays powered, and the battery will charge.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
Phantom73
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your info. Yes, I believe he is turning the switch off after strting it and that is why it is not charging. If it is left in the on position allowing the solonoid to stay closed, wont that keep the starter generator engaged and eventually burn it up?
Old 06-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No. Once the engine is running the starter generator starts Generating. The electrical field in the generator causes it to create electricity based on a small amount of current flow through the field coils in the S/G. The field coil current is regulated through the voltage regulator to maintain proper charge output.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
Phantom73
Not Yet Wild

Again ty for the info. I asked my husband if he was turning the key off and he said no. They did replace the solenoid. Could it be that it is wired wrong?
Old 06-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the Red wire for the voltage regulator was not put back on the solenoid then it may not charge. The small Red wire need to be on the same post with the large White cable.

The voltage regulator may have failed or the starter generator may have a bad field coil.

Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running at full RPM. It should be between 13.5 and 14.5V. If the voltage output is in the range, the starter generator, ad the voltage regulator are fine and something else is draining the battery or the battery is bad.
If it's below that, Use a jumper wire to ground the DF terminal of the starter generator to the case or battery negative. (DF terminal has the small yellow wire) Run the engine and the voltage should go up to over 15v. If it does the voltage regulator has failed. If it does not, there is a problem in the starter generator. Either the brushes are worn out (most common) or there is an open circuit in the field coil.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car