lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
sowdersd
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 EZGO 2 stroke won't start

Just finished rebuilding an 87 EZGO 2 stroke, and when I say rebuilt, I mean new crank, piston assy, new cylinder, head, crank seals, rebuilt carb, etc. Cranked it over without spark plug to allow fuel pump to fill the lines and fill the carb. I used a see-through filter so I can tell there is fuel flow. While plug was out, I watched gap for spark, while cranking the engine over, which there was. Once I felt the carb bowl was full, I put the spark plug back in and tightened it down.

Started cranking it over again and it started running right away, but not wanting to seem go much more than idle. Before I could try anything, the engine produced a loud "POP" like a back fire, had some smoke come from it (couldn't tell source). Now, it still cranks over just fine, but will not start. After checking several items, I pulled the air filter intake off the carb and started cranking it over again. I place my hand near the intake and felt no air flow, no induction of air. I sprayed just a touch of ether at the intake to see if it would start of of that... it didn't. I checked the spark, it is still there.

I pulled the carb, intake and reed valves to see if they were sealing, and they looked ok. Put all of those back on with new gaskets, torqued down, tried starting the engine again, cranks over just fine, but will not start.

What would prevent the engine from not pulling air through the carb? I'm thinking of taking off the muffler to see if it is somehow blocked.

Any other ideas out there? Thank you for your help.
sowdersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 87 EZGO 2 stroke won't start

sounds like you blew out the crank seals. any breach in the crankcase and the engine will fail to draw the fuel mix through it.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

My first thought too is blown out crank seal. Also, did you use lots of 2 stroke oil as assmbly lube? Did you premix the fuel? Check compression just for #hits and grins
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
sowdersd
Not Yet Wild

ruredy and FixerofCarts.. yes, used 2-stroke oil as you mentioned, fuel was pre-mixed to 50:1, although I had my reservations about that, but that's what my boss said to do. Compression was 110 or so.
I pulled the exhaust pipe off this morning, just to visually check the cylinder and piston skirting. I could hear compression and suction as I rolled the engine around by hand.

My original thoughts were crank seals, but again, I was told , "look elsewhere". I can see the crank seal on the clutch side, appears to be in place, no bulging or signs of defect. I can't, however, see the seal on the flywheel side, which means either pulling the engine again to pull the flywheel, or try and work the puller in and around the engine compartment... no fun, either way.

As a side note, is there a "dead on" pre-setting for the inductive coupling, since the plate it is mounted to has slots where the screws go through? I marked the holes before I pulled the plate, but that doesn't mean it was set right to begin with.

Appreciate your help. Steve
Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Have you checked to make sure you put the piston in right?
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
sowdersd
Not Yet Wild

Yes, the port in the piston went to the carburetor side... at least that's the direction that the other one came out. We don't have manuals, where I work, they have zero manuals, depend on calling primary manufacturers service dept. Really frustrating when you have to call all the time for spec's and general knowledge on simple things, but without the manuals and diagrams to be sure of...... my background in engines is pretty extensive, but without the manuals and the factory information, anything you do is best guess. The idea of "it worked that way when you took it out" just doesn't fly with me.....

Tags
no airflow through carb, no induction, no intake
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO