lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default Run/tow through ignition?

Is there any reason why there must be a separate run/tow switch (2007 G29)?

It seems to me that it would make more sense to make is so that by simply turning the key to off you put the cart in tow mode. That way you can't forget to put your cart in tow mode. Why isn't it done that way?

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Run/tow through ignition?

My cart will try to stop if you move it with the key off - a safety feature if you don't set the brake on a hill. It beeps and applies some stopping power. (I think it shorts the Armature terminals with full field applied.)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Can you tow a G29 with the run/tow switch in the run position if you disconnect one of the battery cables? My run/tow switch just crapped out so I just installed a "run/tow wire nut".

As long as I disconnect a cable, is there any reason for me to replace the run/tow switch?

TJ
Old 07-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes. You should have a run/tow switch. Replace it. It's not expensive! Yes you can tow it if you disconnect the battery but you should not even do that if it's in the run position. You can damage the controller by disconnecting / connecting the battery in the Run position.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Yes. You should have a run/tow switch. Replace it. It's not expensive! Yes you can tow it if you disconnect the battery but you should not even do that if it's in the run position. You can damage the controller by disconnecting / connecting the battery in the Run position.
I am on an island this week. It isn't easy for me to quickly pickup a new run/tow switch. However, I had a spare battery cutoff switch used on boats. (One of these: https://www.bluesea.com/products/600...th__Knob_-_Red )

So I put it on the pack in the cart. Turning the switch to off disconnects everything. That shouldn't be any more likely to cause damage to the controller than a conventional run/tow switch, should it?

TJ
Old 07-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Will do. Thanks.

TJ
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha