lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
gary4jan
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Sevcon controller

I have a bad motor ,48volt, and someone has changed the gears in the differential. They say this is what caused the motor to burn . I have a mechanic who says he can get another motor, probably not a DD motor. He said we would need to program the Sevcon for the new motor.We would not change the gears. I dont mind not going as fast but how much will i be losing going with a different motor??
I dont want to burn another one.The D&D will cost $1014.00 The other motor he says wont be as much. We will lose some speed but have torgue.Any Ideas out there. Trying to save money.
gary4jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
cltracey02
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Sevcon controller

You could also use a Yamaha electric motor. Nivel part #54035 formerly the D397. Slightly unknown replacement for the D&D motors in Par Cars and a few hundred dollars cheaper. Shouldn't need to reprogram the contoller either. Its a high speed motor. There aren't too many people who can reprogram the Sevcon controller outside of Wisconsin.
cltracey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
gary4jan
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Sevcon controller

Thanks for the info but now we found out more about the rear end. I was able to call a individual who told me,with the vin number i have for my cart, that the motor is stock and the rear end serial # matches the stock unit. I then found out that when they make a stock cart into a high speed they change the rear end. We did sort of a backyard check on gear ratio by measureing the distance of one rotation of the tire against the 19 spline shaft rotation of the rear end and it is what the spec are from the factory. Another thing i will say is i have changed the tires from stock, when i first bought the used unit, from 18x8.50-8 to 205/50=10. Would this change cause the motor to burn up??? I am having the motor rebuilt and would like to figure this out so i wont burn up another.
gary4jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar