lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #1
ShaneBee
Not Yet Wild

Default Light & Ignition Key Circuit Trobleshooting

2011 EZGO TXT
NO LIGHTS including headlights, taillights, Oil Pressure Signal light.
I have bypassed the ignition switch by removing the blue headlight lead and connected a hot wire directly ro that lead. Headlights & tail lights are then all operational.
I suspect faulty ignition switch but want to confirm I’m not missing something.
1. Do the lights receive their live power coming FROM. the ignition switch.
2. Since I am able to power the lights by connecting the blue wire from the ignition switch to the live battery post,does that in itself confirm the ignition switch is the problem?
3. Anything else hound be checking like an in-line fuse or did I rule that out by the above?
4. Can anyone give a high level explanation of how the power circuitry works & flows for lights through the ignition switch?

Thank you,
ShaneBee
ShaneBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Light & Ignition Key Circuit Trobleshooting

Assuming your key switch is a typical EZGO 4 connector switch, it is really two switches in one. The green wire from the pedal switch brings 12v power up to the key switch, solid blue wire sends signal down to the solenoid. There is usually a red wire pigtailed off the blue wire connector to the oil light, fuel gauge, and any other 12v power at the dash. They only operate when the pedal is depressed. There is a blue w/white wire that extends from the fuse box to the key switch, and then out on blue w/white to the lights and operates in the second run w/lights key position. There is no connectivity between the two switches inside the key switch.
20210226_101223.jpg
If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can test the switch very easily. Put meter in the 200 Ohm position, turn the key to the on position and find the two pins that have continuity and those are the two that get the green and blue solid wires. Put the key in the run/lights position and verify the other two pins have continuity. Each set should have no continuity when in the off position and the lights position should have no continuity in the regular run position.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #3
ShaneBee
Not Yet Wild

PJonLkn
Thanks so much for your complete description and yes, It is the standard EZGO 4 pin switch that I have. I should have access to a multi meter today to check.
In your experience, are faulty switches common to cause all lights out” failure that I have described?
Thanks Again,
ShaneBee
Old 02-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #4
ShaneBee
Not Yet Wild

PJonLkn,
I forgot to ask this additional question.
Does the pedal need to be depressed in order for their to be continuity within “both”
sets of switches or is the depressing the pedal only necessary to determine continuity for the 1st Run position and not the 2nd Run/lights position?
TY
Old 02-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I have to throw this out there but you do have the three position switch?
Off-on-headlight on? just checking.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
ShaneBee
Not Yet Wild

Crash,
thanks for the check and yes I do. After all my circuit testing I overlooked a corroded connection between the busses on the fuse panel.
I’ll now do the walk of shame with my head held low for wasting peoples good time, lol.
SOLVED!
Old 02-25-2022, 08:01 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Don't worry about a thing!! I've been doing this for 30 years and still get caught by the basic stuff.

Glad you got it worked out....
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #8
superop12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for this picture JPonLKN its a great help, I have 1 question, behind that little panel down to the right inside is that the reverse alarm? it has 2 prongs that wires could go on but I'm not sure which wires go on it, any help would be great. Thanks in advance
superop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Superop12, first, probably better to start a new thread and share what cart you are working with. Assuming it is similar to the one in the original post, the reverse alarm buzzer is under the seat, usually mounted right near or on the back side of the forward/reverse handle mechanism. Fused hot comes from the big always hot terminal on the solenoid to the reverse microswitch, where it piggybacks out to the pedal switch and to the reverse buzzer microswitch. When you put the cart in reverse, it closes the microswitch on the mechanism and sends hot 12v to the buzzer. The second wire on the buzzer is a ground.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #10
superop12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JPonLKN, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=183372 here is the link to the post I made back on the 2nd. Hopefully you can help.
superop12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, ignition switch, lights
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO