lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Two Questions about G8/G9 chager

Looking at either a G8 or G9 after work, no charger but I know a good cart when I see one. My questions are:
1) Do G8/G9 models share the same charger?
2) What is the name of the charger connector commonly referred to? Crow Foot, Round, SB50, D-style?

Im a CC guy, so I need a quick education on G8/G9's - anything you can tell wil be appreciated - even if its not about the charger!
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Two Questions about G8/G9 chager

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post
Looking at either a G8 or G9 after work, no charger but I know a good cart when I see one. My questions are:
1) Do G8/G9 models share the same charger?
2) What is the name of the charger connector commonly referred to? Crow Foot, Round, SB50, D-style?

Im a CC guy, so I need a quick education on G8/G9's - anything you can tell wil be appreciated - even if its not about the charger!
Any 36 volt charger with Crow Foot/Lester style cord end. Good luck on your purchase
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

G8 & G9 are both solid state motor controller carts, no resistor coils. (i have heard of some early G9 carts using resistor coils like a G2, but i have never seen one) They use a 0-1k throttle and are pretty reliable carts. They have two diodes right next to the controller that sometimes suffer corrosion problems (they are right next to batteries). These diodes are very cheap and seem to fix 80% of all problems in these carts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Two Questions about G8/G9 chager

Thank you smallblock & cgtech.

The thing was a mess, and it ended up being at a car dealership. The picture advertised was not even the same cart.

Steering had a ton of play in it, batteries were dead & had no water at all ...or at least so low below the plates I couldn't even see any with a flashlight! Lots of corrosion on diodes like you mentioned and it had a club car charger with it. It was at least a G8/G9 but the guy wouldn't budge off 1,000 bucks!

But here's the kicker, when the Salesman says to me, "I got this as a trade-in a few months ago, it's got brand new batteries and works great. I've was driving it all over the place until the batteries went dead and I just haven't had the time charge them back up."

I can see from the date codes the batteries were 2 years old. By this point red flags were flying everywhere and I left. SMH

Appreciate the info guys!
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post
Thank you smallblock & cgtech.

The thing was a mess, and it ended up being at a car dealership. The picture advertised was not even the same cart.

Steering had a ton of play in it, batteries were dead & had no water at all ...or at least so low below the plates I couldn't even see any with a flashlight! Lots of corrosion on diodes like you mentioned and it had a club car charger with it. It was at least a G8/G9 but the guy wouldn't budge off 1,000 bucks!

But here's the kicker, when the Salesman says to me, "I got this as a trade-in a few months ago, it's got brand new batteries and works great. I've was driving it all over the place until the batteries went dead and I just haven't had the time charge them back up."

I can see from the date codes the batteries were 2 years old. By this point red flags were flying everywhere and I left. SMH

Appreciate the info guys!
What?? A bait and switch from a car dealer??
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha