lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
new batteries have to break in before they can reach full capacity. Usually 20 cycles.

Without a doubt but that is not our issue here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #12
Nate
Gone Wild

Default Re: Reduced battery life?

At 49 volts the batteries are not getting fully charged or you have a power drain or you have a bad cell in a battery.

To check charger shut off voltage you have to be there with a volt meter connected to the pack when the charger shuts off.

To check for a power drain put your amp clamp on a battery cable somewhere in the pack when everything is switched to off and look for current flow. I would think a solenoid that does not de-energize would be warm.

To check for a bad cell read the voltage of all batteries individually.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:52 AM   #13
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Reduced battery life?

There is draw on the meter, appears the whole pack is being discharged and the solenoid opens or de-energizes when you switch to tow. I can hear it click when I move the switch.

After studying the wiring diagram, I see the solenoid coil + is always hot and the controller completes the circuit by connecting the ground.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #14
Nate
Gone Wild

What happens if you disconnect the positive power to the controller leaving the ground connected?

If the solenoid stays on in this case that means the switching device in the controller has failed in the ON state and cannot be fixed by the average user.

At the very least this test will power down the controller and reboot the internal micro processor. Hopefully the switching device just needs to be reset.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #15
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
What happens if you disconnect the positive power to the controller leaving the ground connected?

If the solenoid stays on in this case that means the switching device in the controller has failed in the ON state and cannot be fixed by the average user.

At the very least this test will power down the controller and reboot the internal micro processor. Hopefully the switching device just needs to be reset.
The Solenoid picks up it's positive lead directly from the pack, I don't see where this would have an effect.

How about that accelerator stop switch? I'll get up there today and do a couple of more tests.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Check the gas pedal "start/stop" switch. Yeah, i think you have a controller problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #17
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Check the gas pedal "start/stop" switch. Yeah, i think you have a controller problem.
The G19UE wiring diagram shows a switch called the "accelerator stop switch", if this doesn't activate the Solenoid circuit what does it do?

Trying to learn as much as I can here, our local Yamaha dealer went out of business last year (they had the whole state) and left some customers hanging.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It informs the motor controller that you are present and would like to "go". The throttle position sensor tells the controller "how fast". It does not activate the solenoid, the controller does that.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Reduced battery life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
It informs the motor controller that you are present and would like to "go". The throttle position sensor tells the controller "how fast". It does not activate the solenoid, the controller does that.

So you don't believe the switch has any influence on wether or not the controller activates the solenoid? I understand that it is not visibly in the circuit but wouldn't logic dictate that it is part of the system that energizes the solenoid? If that switch fails and the controller believes that you are present when you are not, what's changed?

Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #20
Nate
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
The Solenoid picks up it's positive lead directly from the pack, I don't see where this would have an effect.
If the controller is powered down the solenoid should default to open and close only when the controller tells it. If the positive power is removed from the controller and the solenoid remains closed that means the internal switching device that controls the solenoid is no longer listening to the controller's logic circuit.
As you mentioned, the controller controls the grounding of the solenoid, removing power from the controller should cause this ground circuit to shut power off even with the positive wire going to the solenoid.

As for the accelerator stop switch, you can check to see if it changes state when the accelerator is pressed. Typically they open when the accelerator goes to home position.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha