lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
ccrochet
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Tomberlin E500

Hello,

I was interested in purchasing a 2008 Tomberlin E500 from someone. after doing some research I don't find to many places for parts and service in my neck of the woods. How reliable are theses carts? the one I am looking at has 600 miles, batteries are good. Just cant seem to find reviews or info on their carts. I currently have a 2009 ezgo txt which we like. thanks for the help.
ccrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 Tomberlin E500

I have a 2012 and have had great use from it. It is the fastest cart on the golf course if I want to run it in High range. Our small city of 7,500 allows carts on city streets as long as they are "street legal". I have a dealer 30 miles away and get great service. No charge to pick up and deliver .Tomberlin got some bad publicity because of a legal issue with a large sub contractor. Tomberlin filed a temporary Chapter 11 a couple of years back but it never caused any problems. They are out of the Chap. 11 now and seem to be going strong. . I am located in Washington state right at the Idaho border. That's low miles on a 2008. You say batteries are "good". What is the brand and age? Factory at that time I think should have been Trojan 875s. If Trojan look on the terminal pad for a number and letter. Number is year of mfg. and letter is month (starting with A for Jan.) If not TRojan come back with brand, etc. and one of the Forum can give you information. What is the asking price and your area location?

Last edited by dcannow; 05-17-2015 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: update, again
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

I'd stay away from and early car like that. Tomberlin is still losing money but that may change soon if the rumors are correct. We shall see.
Most of the Tomberlin dealers have closed and parts are still scarce.
Late 2009 or newer if you really have your heart set on a Tomberlin. Let have lost if issues
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
I'd stay away from and early car like that. Tomberlin is still losing money but that may change soon if the rumors are correct. We shall see.
Most of the Tomberlin dealers have closed and parts are still scarce.
Late 2009 or newer if you really have your heart set on a Tomberlin. Let have lost if issues
I suggest your comments might need a little more factual background. The "Rumor" you refer to is probably the asset transfer to Columbia ParCar scheduled to close next month. Columbia has been in business for over 50 years and wants to add the Tomberlin design to their inventory. I challenge that "most of the Tomberlin dealers have closed,etc". Most dealers had/have multi-brand lines and are still selling units and providing service, including parts, for the Tomberlin brand. It's too bad that a legal hassle involving Schwin Scooters has put a cloud on Tomberlin's efforts to present a quality LSV vehicle. If you want the name of a dealer that still sells Tomberlin and supplies parts/service all you have to do is cruise for them on the internet.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:00 AM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

I'm a former Tomberlin dealer and still receive all the bankruptcy court paperwork. We will see if the par car deal goes through. Also par car has not been in business for 50 years. They bought up Harley / Columbia
I knew 4 other Tomberlin dealers and they all stopped selling the product because support was non existent.
im not really sure why par car wants to buy into Tomberlin. Where I am Tomberlin has a terrible reputation. We shall see what happens
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

I managed to hold on replying for a while, but....

Columbia has been in existence since the 1940's. While it is true that we acquired the HD line, we were already producing vehicles. If you go back in time you would find that HD had been given a choice by their financial system to either liquidate the golf cart line, or the motorcycle line. Obviously they chose well, and Columbia acquired the golf car line assets.

The Tomberlin asset acquisition goes even deeper than the earlier HD though, as Tomberlin already was a great concept, design and vehicle. Tomberlin dealers were proud of that vehicle look and the corporate office made sure they stayed innovated and connected. Pending final approval of course from the bankruptcy court, you will soon be seeing Tomberlin and Columbia ParCar units side by side in the showrooms, with parts availability back to just a few day where it used to be.

So why does ParCar want to be in with Tomberlin? Because it's a great opportunity to have more than one brand in our dealerships, being able to reach a variety of customers who share brand loyalty, and who like the differing engineering ideas. Not only will you see this as a bonus for Tomberlin though a wider ability to sell parts and get service, but the flip side holds true for Columbia ParCar also.

So before being naysayers and gripers, I would ask that you give this concept time to come to fruition and then cast your vote. As long as I am sitting here at my Tech Support desk, I will not stop trying to make both brands better in the eyes of my fellow technicians out there.

Thanks.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
JimVA
Not Yet Wild

Tomberlin

Tech Support, please keep us posted on the acquisition of Tomberlin. This will be a big for Tomberlin owners!
JimVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Tech Support-Thanks for your confirmation that the Tomberlin product and future are as bright as my dealer has been telling me. My 2012 is a great machine, well made and will do justice as a companion to your Columbia ParCar units. These naysayers have been trying to convince present/future owners of Tomberlin that everything was going down the tube. Meanwhile both my dealer and Tomberlin have hung in there while giving me excellent service and customer response. I trust that Columbia/Tomberlin will remember those dealers that have jumped ship and are spreading the gloom/doom story. Thanks for sharing your inside information . Please keep in touch on our Tomberlin forum.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Fyi, the court has approved the Columbia ParCar acquisition of Tomberlin. Now we have a few months of growing pains but will be rolling full steam ahead soon.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Tech-Thanks for the up-date. The news was well worth waiting for.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin