lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
michaelalanjones
Not Yet Wild

Default New owner of 1973 HD DE4 electric golf cart

Without asking me, my wife bid $245 on this 1973 Harley Davidson DE4 electric golf cart and won it. It was only 75 miles away, so we just picked it up today. It came with a 36V Lester charger. The seller forgot to mention that there were no batteries in it!

I am wondering if it is worth the cost of buying 6 deep cycle (marine) batteries for it. That is going to be a serious cost. It will be at least $600, on up. I wonder if I should/could just put a gas motor conversion in there for less than that?

Just trying to see, before I spend possibly a grand on batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973 HD Electric Golf Cart.jpg (110.4 KB, 0 views)
michaelalanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
Dbrockman1972
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: New owner of 1973 HD DE4 electric golf cart

I have the exact year cart! Mine has 3-12 volt deep cycle batteries. It runs, but I have no reverse and the rear wheels have a ton of slop. Also, the contacts for the gas pedal are on the way out. I am considering cutting mine in half to make a limo cart and converting to gas also. I am looking for a cheap polaris atv and doing an engine/rear swing arm swap. Selling all the electrical parts on eBay and selling all the quad parts I don't need hopefully will cover most of the cost on the conversion. Good luck on the project! Have some fun with it!
Dbrockman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
michaelalanjones
Not Yet Wild

I wondered if I could just put three deep cycle batteries in there, instead of six. Will it run like that, with only three batteries, I guess? Maybe just not as long?
michaelalanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Dbrockman1972
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

mine runs fine, but I never had the 6-6volts to compare it to. I have heard the 3-12 volts don't have the range. not sure. a decent running gas powered cart wont cost nearly the 600 dollar battery cost every few years, so that's what im doing. a lot of fuel and oil changes can be had for 600 bucks.
Dbrockman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

you could probably find a gas cart and fix it up easier than changing the whole rear end and removing all the relays and electrical. my dad loves his electric cart. they arent as noisy as the 2 strokers.
batteries will run more since you will need a core. you could do 2 12 volt and 2 6 volt to keep the forward reverse set up working. as for slop check the wheel hub and axle. ours had that it was caused by a improper key stock in the slots.
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
joe100
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here's Mine it's a 1976 needs batteries maybe in the spring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04850.jpg (229.0 KB, 0 views)
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson