lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
YDRE1977
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default YDRE burned controller wire

2007 YDRE 48V with XCT500 amp controller and Plowman motor. A couple of months ago I installed the new controller and motor at the same time, and right away I noticed the motor would get hot as hell, which Don said it would do until the motor "breaks in". So I put about 60 miles on it driving under different conditions and never holding it at WOT. Even after that initial 60 miles, the motor would still get very hot, like couldn't hold your finger on it for more than a full 1 Mississippi, and I was getting hot electrical smell. Recently I started hearing this weird hissing noise but only heard the noise when you first pressed the throttle, and the noise was intermittent. I also noticed that my fan on my controller would come on right away, sometimes before I even backed out of the garage and onto the street. When other times, I could be out driving around for an hour and never hear the fan come on. I'm not 100% sure but I feel like every time the fan would come on so soon, I'd get the weird hiss noise...... So last night I was looking things over to see if I could see anything, and found this, J9 motor positive wire burned up. I've got a call into Don, but have not heard back from him yet, and thought it'd be a good idea to get additional info on this. I've also got an email into alltrax to see their thoughts. Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.jpg (262.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (270.5 KB, 0 views)
YDRE1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: YDRE burned controller wire

You probably did not have a good clean connection there and it overheated and failed.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

PM sent.

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
YDRE1977
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys. I talked to Don and he's thinking the same thing, bad connection. Going to clean everything up and try again. Anyone opposed to trying solder on this connection. Only thinking that because the tab got ate up pretty good and it's the only thing I can think of to try and salvage the controller.
YDRE1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would not try solder. Try to get as good a connection to what is left of the tab as you can. If that doesn't work, you will have to replace the controller.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would talk to alltrax and see if that tab can be replaced by doing a partial rebuild of controller. Doesn't look like there is enough of the tab left to get a really good connection.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
cre73
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I don't like the tabs on the alltrax controllers. It doesn't seem that you can get the connections tight enough without possibly causing damage.
cre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I too thought they were a bit questionable. I used new cables and got good connections to them.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #9
cre73
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I also used new cables but could not tighten them as much as I wanted due to fear of damage. My line of work I quite often see the consequences of loose connections. So I am quite concerned and check them often. Mine are tight but in my opinion they could work loose easily.
cre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre73 View Post
I also used new cables but could not tighten them as much as I wanted due to fear of damage. My line of work I quite often see the consequences of loose connections. So I am quite concerned and check them often. Mine are tight but in my opinion they could work loose easily.
I too am skeptical of the connections on the tabs. I haven't done it yet, but I'm tempted to make tight connections and then put a blob of JB-Weld over each one. Granted it would make the installation permanent, and any future swapping out of controllers would require re-terminating, or replacing, the cables.

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha