lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Help me identify this Yamaha electric golf cart

Hi, everyone
I'm the happy owner of a '89 Yamaha G1 gasser, and am quite familiar with it. An organization that I volunteer at has had a Yamaha electric golf cart donated to it. It didn't run when we got it, and no one had much interest (or time, for that matter) to trouble shoot it. We did check the six 6 volt batteries, and they are fairly new, hold a charge, and pass a load test. We suspect that some one hooked them up incorrectly, because there was a lot of cobbled bolts on the battery cables.

My question is this: Do you think this cart is worth hauling home and troubleshooting/fixing if it is something like a controller or drive motor? The organization could really use it for carrying visitors around the area, they just don't have a lot of money set aside for an expensive fix on an older golf cart.

I'm familiar with working on engines, diesel, gas and 2 strokes, but know almost nothing about electric carts. If you guys can identify this thing from the pics, I'd appreciate your opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0045 (Medium).jpg (400.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0046 (Medium).jpg (444.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0047 (Medium).jpg (392.5 KB, 0 views)
fredstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help me identify this Yamaha electric golf cart

Several of the Yamaha models look very similar on the outside. Looks like probably G14 or G16, but the way to be sure is to find a serial number. If I'm right there should be a plate in the battery compartment, just ahead of the forward left side battery position - essentially under the drivers left leg. Format would be 3 digits: "J", another letter, then a number followed by the 6 digit number for the production sequence. Something like: JN3-123456. If it's a different model the number tag could be on the other side of the battery compartment (under the passenger's right leg) or just inside the lip of the driver side glove box. The format remains the same. Let us know what you find and we can help decode it.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Yep, G14 or G16. The electric models are the same. The cart looks to be in good condition. Definitely worth spending some troubleshooting time on it. The price was certainly right...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Yep, G14 or G16. The electric models are the same. The cart looks to be in good condition. Definitely worth spending some troubleshooting time on it. The price was certainly right...
OK, thank you both for the quick response. When I'm back at the shop Friday, I'll find the I.D. plate and let you know what it is. Silly me - I was looking for the model and serial # on back of left frame by bumper like a G1.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I got a chance to look this Yamaha cart over today a little closer, and found the serial #: JN4-107890 Sez "Assembled in USA". Also grabbed the charger and brought it home. I'll be bringing the cart home this coming Tuesday.

I know absolutely zilch about electric carts, so you'll probably be hearing me whining for help in a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0049 (Medium).jpg (88.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0050 (Medium).jpg (296.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Jn4-107890 = '95 G14E
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #7
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Jn4-107890 = '95 G14E
Thanks. Now to start doing homework on this model.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Preliminary inspection may be more like an autopsy. Got the G14E home yesterday, and dug into it this morning. Apparently the battery pack (Crown 225 ah) isn't good, I got 17 volts across the pack. Also, the charger appears to do nothing - plugged it in, and no output across output plug. Fuse is good, just no humming, no nothing.

I've pulled a couple of the batteries and am charging one with a Schauer 6/12 volt charger that I know is good. Charge both my 61 Ford tractor and 51 Chev pickup batteries with it. Checked all batteries for electrolyte levels, and that, at least was OK.

Beginning to look like we have a parts cart here. To bad, it isn't beat up, is intact and even looks fairly nice. I just don't know if it is practical to start pouring $$$ into it at this point.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Automatic chargers will not turn on with such low voltage in the set. Try charging the batteries individually or 2 at a time till you get to about 34 volts, then plug in the charger to see if it works.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Automatic chargers will not turn on with such low voltage in the set. Try charging the batteries individually or 2 at a time till you get to about 34 volts, then plug in the charger to see if it works.
Thanks for the tip. Doing that now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha