lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Default 1998 TXT gas electrical major issues

What's up guys? So, I bought a 1998 TXT gas cart the other day. Haven't torn into it quite yet, but as soon as I get the painting projects out of my garage, I'm going to tear into it.

The previous owner said that rat/mouse got into the wiring harness and chewed wires apart. They said it was running fine prior to this.

My question is, does anyone have a stock wiring harness for this cart laying around? I've got the schematic blown up, so I can at least start hard wiring everything by hand, but would rather plug in harnesses of course!
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1998 TXT gas electrical major issues

Probably not what you want to hear, but I assume your going to refurbish it and keep it. Honestly, if you properly repair and crimp the wires it should be just fine. Also you didn't mention how many wires that were actually severed so it might not merit a brand new harness unless you want to spend the money of course. Just throwing a suggestion out there lol
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:19 AM   #3
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Well, the previous owner ripped out all of the stock wiring and tried to start over. He did a pretty good job, but the schematic I have does not match the color coding of my wires. They evidently couldn't make it work again.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:48 AM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Aw man sorry to hear that, because for all you know it was only a few wires
But lucky for you, it's a gas car and not electric so there are far fewer wires to deal with. I'm guessing when they attempted to run new wire they used the same color or only 2 colors. But yeah there is bound to be someone that will sell you a harness for it on here. Good luck
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

No, I mean that the color of the wire coming out of the ignitor, for example, doesn't match the wiring diagram I have. Well, three of the six wire colors. Spent the weekend wiring it to match the diagram to no success. I put a 7.5 amp fuse into the mix (as it shows in the schematic), but popped it, the moment I switched power on. I reused one wire, which the copper was black. I'll try switching that wire out today and get some voltage meter readings. I am bound and determined to figure this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1270728.JPG (171.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1270729.JPG (103.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

EZ has 2 different sets of wiring diagrams for its gas carts and I think you have the latter one and need the older one.. The harnesses can be bought from EZGo but there are not that many wires..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

I called and spoke with EZ. They said they don't produce the wiring harness for a 98 any longer, and don't have any left in stock. You might be right on the schematic, but as I've read over 200 posts in this section, my only questionable wires were coming out of the ignitor. However, it appears that I've hooked them up correctly (by guessing). I am going through and testing as many parts as I can now.

I did throw power directly at the starter/generator, but didn't see any movement. This might be dead. If it is, not a big deal. Hopefully they sell parts to rebuild it.

I've been working on Yamaha's for years now. Every and any part you needed for Yamaha's can easily be purchased. Even carts as old as 1991. This is a 1998, but parts are not widely available...What gives?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:03 AM   #8
MILLERTIME
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring_diagram_gas A.jpg (59.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wiring_diagram_gas.jpg (33.3 KB, 0 views)
MILLERTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Yep! Perfect! The one on the right has the Orange/white out of the ignitor.

OK. Got the starter to turn over with the switch. Good news! I don't know if it is sparking yet, as I can't try to start till I have new oil and clean out the gas tank. Lots of sludge and water in the block. Will probably have to take the carb off and get it clean. I'm sure its a mess.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

EZGo is starting to make me wonder.. Control harness is listed as in stock for your cart

https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Contr...-Medalist.html

May not have all the connections but not been discontinued..

You can check for spark by just hooking up a plug and laying on the manifold while you spin it over.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO