lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
JohnForeman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2015 Yamaha drive high speed motor or 8:1 gears?

Hi all,
Since the cost is about the same, what would people suggest, high speed motor or 8:1 gears. I just ordered 20" wheels and I'm currently completely stock. Top speed is 17mph.
John
JohnForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2015 Yamaha drive high speed motor or 8:1 gears?

Both are a quite poor choice with the stock controller, stock controller is not a good candidate for upgraded speed parts. Get a controller instead (like alltrax Xct48400) and dial it back to 300a as long as the rest of the parts are stock. That will get you in the neighborhood of 22mph, wit some power left I reserve if you want a higher speed motor later. Even with it dialed back to 300a, you will still get a nice speed increase & a small boost in torque.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:21 AM   #3
JohnForeman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Both are a quite poor choice with the stock controller, stock controller is not a good candidate for upgraded speed parts. Get a controller instead (like alltrax Xct48400) and dial it back to 300a as long as the rest of the parts are stock. That will get you in the neighborhood of 22mph, wit some power left I reserve if you want a higher speed motor later. Even with it dialed back to 300a, you will still get a nice speed increase & a small boost in torque.
Suggested retailers?
JohnForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Put gears in for a gas cart and a Motor for an electric, that's the general rule of thumb.
I haven't run into the issues GTECH. Ive put in too many upgraded motors to count on stock carts with no issues. Guess it will depend on how your going to use the cart. Where I'm at, it golf and transportation.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Im looking at it from the prospective of "acceptable rate of failure" when we installed in a new cart (and this one is already 2 years in). They seem to go an average of 4-5 years, wit some contollers failing in warranty period. What motor are you running with stock controller? To original poster, I suggest ScottyB as a supplier www.cartsunlimited.net
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think I would go with a high speed motor - and upgraded controller. I have the high speed (9:1) gears and it's fine now that I have a high torque motor but it was not so good with the stock Hitachi motor.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha