lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
KarTek
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Default 90's Cushman Electric Industrial Resto/Mod

Guys,

I'm starting this thread to document the restoration and modification of my Cushman industrial truck that I got for free. And, since it was free, that leaves me with more budget for fixing up and modding!

A little history:

Where I was working was going to scrap this truck so I volunteered to "make it disappear". I brought it home and put it in my back shed for a couple years until I had the resources to fix it up. The original plan was to fix it up for my aging dad to ride around the property and go get the mail.

Long story short, dad's health declined rapidly so all my attention went to him and the truck sat, untouched for several years in the shed. Fast -forward to October of 2016 and I was finally ready to formulate a plan. I unlocked the door to the shed only to find that the roof had collapsed at some time and the contents of the building were essentially ruined from rain and rot.

I was still determined to restore it so I drug it out of the shed and began the stripping process which is where I am today. My timeline to complete the project is about 1 year or the end of October 2018. My plan is to take it to the NC Outer Banks and use it on Ocracoke Island for a week's vacation.

Here's my plan for each area in approximately which order I'm working on it:

Frame and chassis:

Fully strip, clean, remove rust, re-coat and paint.
Ditch the massive un-flexable rear suspension and replace with a 4 link.
Flip front and rear axles to get about 3" of lift.
Swap springs for ATV coil-overs or possibly air bags. Looking for comfort, original suspension was good for a 1900 pound payload!
Full brake rebuild - every part rebuilt or replaced. Stainless brake lines.

Wheels:

Replace stock steel wheels with some nicer aluminum pieces and tires with all terrain tread.

Electrical:

Replace entire electrical system with something more modern. PCM(?) controller? Suggestions?
Replace all lighting with LED.
Add brake lights and turn signals.
Add about 600W of solar panels to the roof along with a charge controller to help keep the truck charged in the sun light when parked.
Convert the system from 36 to 48 volts to get a little more power and speed out of it. Looking for around 17-20 MPH.
Possibly convert to L-Ion batteries? Pros/Cons. I'd rather not spend $3000 on batteries!

Body:

Restore all fiberglass.
Repaint all exterior parts.
Convert 2 seat chassis to 4 seater.
Re work flat bed with "Trex" wood stakes and fresh I/O carpeting.
Re-upholster seats with "cabana" oil cloth to match body color scheme.
Maybe add some graphics but the jury is out on that one.

Options:

I may try to develop a set of extension wheels to convert the truck into a "high rail" vehicle to go on private rail excursions.

I will continue to update this thread as I progress and I might edit this initial post if possible to keep things as accurate as possible. All help and suggestions are welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170328_135425.jpg (295.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170328_135440.jpg (356.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171028_120220.jpg (256.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171028_120233.jpg (267.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171028_120247.jpg (209.8 KB, 0 views)
KarTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
KarTek
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 90's Cushman Electric Industrial Resto/Mod

Here's a couple pictures of the damage to the shed and the extraction of the Cushman.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

If / when lithium battery systems become more cost effective, it may be something to consider for this cart. With either a lithium or lead acid battery system, you are heading in the right direction by going to a 48 volt system to meet your speed objectives.

I suggest going to the Alltrax Controller site and download some of the Generic Wiring Diagrams they have on their site to help you get started on electronic ideas. See: http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_SR.html

Not sure if you need to go with a series type system with your heavy cart or perhaps a newer, more modern system will be more applicable since you are essentially starting from the ground up. Talk to the technical help desk at Alltrax and they can get you headed in the right direction. And of course other BGW members may also have some valuable advice for your build.

There are not a lot of older Cushman carts around theses days ... demand for them may be limited ... so be aware that putting a large investment in this type of cart may not result in a marketable product. This may be a mute point if you want to keep it forever!

My Cushman has a similar suspension system to yours and rides a bit like a tank (but is capable of hauling a heavy load). Your plans to soften the suspension should help to soften the ride, but will also adversely affect its load capacity.

Good luck with your build ... looking forward to your updates.

Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
KarTek
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I suggest going to the Alltrax Controller site and download some of the Generic Wiring Diagrams they have on their site to help you get started on electronic ideas. See: http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_SR.html

Not sure if you need to go with a series type system with your heavy cart or perhaps a newer, more modern system will be more applicable since you are essentially starting from the ground up. Talk to the technical help desk at Alltrax and they can get you headed in the right direction. And of course other BGW members may also have some valuable advice for your build.
Thanks for this info/link. I don't mind investing in quality electric components since it's the heart of how the cart runs and if it runs like hell, it will remind me every time I get on it.

I see there's also a company called Curtis that appear to be in the same business. I'm sure there are opinions on who's the best.

-Evan
Old 11-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTek
I see there's also a company called Curtis that appear to be in the same business. I'm sure there are opinions on who's the best.
From what I have read on this forum, the Alltrax is a very popular controller. I had some issues this past summer with my 19 year old Curtis controller and had researched various brands of replacement controllers. I luckily was able to resolve my controller problems (was a water entry problem), but my choice of replacement controller would have been Alltrax.

Here is a recent discussion on Alltrax that summarizes their advantages: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ontroller.html
Old 11-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
KarTek
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Worked on this a little today. Not much time which is why I say it will take a year to complete this project.

Began pressing apart the severely rusted rear brakes. The studs on one side were damaged during removal so I'll probably replace them all with new ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171112_123012.jpg (231.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171112_131607.jpg (341.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
KarTek
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Working by truck headlight this evening. Finally got the body separated from the frame and the nose from the rest of the body.

The only problem is that the body is 9' long so it's a little bulky for me to lift off by myself.

Found a date on the under body so there's no question of what year it is now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171115_173546.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171115_173554.jpg (140.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171115_194359.jpg (245.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #8
KarTek
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Some more progress tonight. I rigged up a system with ratchet straps to lift the body off the frame.

Brushed everything of a little then moved it inside for more stripping.

I don't think I've ever worked on a project where literally every piece is ruined or needs a full restoration!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171116_172310.jpg (228.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171116_175011.jpg (305.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171116_175020.jpg (289.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171116_175035.jpg (259.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171116_175041.jpg (271.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Not sure if you have been able to find any manuals for your Cushman.
This link might be helpful:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSHMAN-Par...UAAOSwfRdZHDY-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (161.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
KarTek
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Hey, cool, thanks for that!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts