lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
methos0510
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default BMS wiring on Chevy Volt pack

I saw that Riso posted the Chevy Volt pin out here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...ms-pinout.html

I plan on using a Chargery BMS24T on it and I want to be sure its wired correctly. On my Leaf pack it was simple but the pin out for the Volt only shows 12 + and 3 low ref and 2 temp. Would I just start with the first low ref and then follow the + down the line?
methos0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default re: BMS wiring on Chevy Volt pack

That's how I would do it. Start with my voltmeter at the first low reference (pin 2) then work my way down the chain of the battery voltage signal in order (pins 11 through pin 8 ).
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
methos0510
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I was hoping that was it. Now for another question.
If I'm running 2 packs in parallel would I just continue along that same line or would I have to split the wires to run both packs?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe this diagram with just the B- and cell number connections is easier to read:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevy_volt_bms_connector.jpg (86.3 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
methos0510
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That's super easy...lol so the BMS 24T has 3 plugs - then 8 + . T next plug - go's to the junction for the next in series.

When I go to wire the second pack do I just keep going down the plugs?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since your "serial" packs would be in parallel, You will either need 2 separate BMS units or use the same 12 taps and run the connectors in parallel.

I will defer to someone that has actually tried a single BMS for volt packs in parallel since the cells need to be balanced before the initial connection.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
cricketo
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I will defer to someone that has actually tried a single BMS for volt packs in parallel since the cells need to be balanced before the initial connection.
I am in the same boat with Chrysler Pacifica modules connected in parallel. Given the well-matched nature of cells that come in modules, there may be no need to balance the cells. Just need to charge both modules to some safe pack voltage, then connect the modules in parallel, then connect the BMS.

So charge each module to 48v, verify each cell is very close to each other at 4v, then connect modules in parallel. After that connect cells in parallel and hook up the BMS.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium