lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
WallysWorld
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 80 G1 muffler rebuild question

Hello all, first time posting and new to the world of Carts. I picked up an 80 G1 that turns over but not starting. I determined that the engine is gone (20psi compression) and i am doing the full overhaul on it. Plan on ordering the Plowmans Top End kit for it and also will have the Head worked. I have also bought new crank seals and a carb rebuild along with other parts to make this thing go. My question is that the muffler is gone, no BBQing will save it. rust holes and cracks all over. I was wondering if I can unskin it, saving the end caps and the internals and then roll some steel to reskin using the internals. I am not sure if that has been done or if feasible. or would it be better just to open the wallet and purchase a new one.

thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190626_202544.jpg (216.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G1_firstlook.jpg (224.9 KB, 0 views)
WallysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
illumastorm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 80 G1 muffler rebuild question

if you can "unskin" it the try it. be cheaper then buying a new muffler. i did the same thing to a tractor my dad bought once, that muffler was about the same shape as these G1's an it worked pretty good for the last 5 years dad owned it.
illumastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've seen them cut open before, so it's possible to take it apart and reuse. In this scenario you can't lose because if you take it apart and it's too rusty, well you didn't spend any money. The Plowman's muffler is worth the bucks. It's less restrictive and the tuning is better for low and mid rpm power vs. the stock pipe. Don will tell you how many versions of that design he tested. He's a 2 stroke guy for real, and I believe what he says. He has always helped me with questions whenever I called. Good dude.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallysWorld View Post
Hello all, first time posting and new to the world of Carts. I picked up an 80 G1 that turns over but not starting. I determined that the engine is gone (20psi compression) and i am doing the full overhaul on it. Plan on ordering the Plowmans Top End kit for it and also will have the Head worked. I have also bought new crank seals and a carb rebuild along with other parts to make this thing go. My question is that the muffler is gone, no BBQing will save it. rust holes and cracks all over. I was wondering if I can unskin it, saving the end caps and the internals and then roll some steel to reskin using the internals. I am not sure if that has been done or if feasible. or would it be better just to open the wallet and purchase a new one.

thank you
I say reskin it if you have the means. looks like this one has fiberglass in it. id leave that out. be noisier but flow better. Make sure your compression gauge is accurate and its done at WOT. Ive seen to many false readings with the cheap harbor freight style compression gauges.

if you look for a replacement stay away from the 82 (J17) muffler. even if you got it to fit it would not preform well. you tell this exhaust by the weird cross over pipe
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

In the harley section a couple of members did a reskins as some of those mufflers are made of unobtainium. I was surprised how much some of them look like a 4 stroke muffler baffle wise. P.S. I don't have the kind of skill that would take.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
WallysWorld
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Awesome Guys, thanks for all the comments and replies. I ended up buy the Plowmans Muffler. After talking with Don for almost 20 minutes I was convinced that his was the way to go. I bought his top end kit and head mod, jet kit and seals from him as well. He knows his STUFF for sure and a really nice guy. I would much rather deal with a small Mom and Pop shop like that then a buying form over seas store any day. Having the piece of mind that he's there to help when needed is worth the extra coin.

thanks again for all the input.
WallysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Good choice! You'll be pleased with Plowman's parts. I purchased the power kit with muffler, clutch, and belt and it worked great. He is ALWAYS willing to help on the phone. I suggest that you write all your questions down before you call, that way you don't forget in the heat of the conversation. He is very knowledgeable and informative.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha