lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
Dipstick56
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G8 gas quits running randomly with accessory lights hooke up but not on

1991 G8 gas. When I got it there were front headlights and tail lights wired but not working. Seller said he thought blown fuse. Checked system, the wiring had been splice multiple places causing short. I took all of the wiring out, rewired all 4 lights, ran ground from each light back to negative on battery. Main light switch on dash separate from ignition. Fused wire from + battery to switch and power to lights from switch. Checked lights, they all work. Headed down to my shop with lights OFF and cart stopped running. I pulled the fuse from the main power lead to light switch, cart starts right up and drives fine. I went back through the wiring to see if I had crossed a wire or something, it all appears correct. I put the fuse back in, kept the lights off and drove it again. It ran great about 5 minutes then died again. I took fuse out again, off we went with no problem. I am stumped. If the lights were on I could see possibly having a problem but not with lights off. Can somebody help me with this driving at night with a flashlight is getting old
Dipstick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
Dipstick56
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G8 gas quits running randomly with accessory lights hooke up but not on

I should prolly close this out with an update. The short story is the cart needed a new battery. The longer story us when I tested the battery with my amp meter I found it had random volts from 11.7 up to 13.2 The battery sticker showed the battery was a 2017 but when I took it back to Costco for a warranty replacement, they said the sticker that was on the battery did not belong there that the stamped number on the battery showed it was a 2007. They said sometimes people will buy a new battery, transfer that sticker over to their old battery and sell it as a newer battery. This one came in my cart so I have no idea how it got there. But it was pretty amazing a 12 year old battery was working at all. I had to buy a new battery, but now all of my electrical gremlins are gone :) Guess the moral of the story is start at the basics and work from there!
Dipstick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G8 gas quits running randomly with accessory lights hooke up but not on

Yep and I've seen fairly new batteries go bad too. You just never know. Glad you got it sorted out!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha