lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
Capt7276@att.net
Not Yet Wild

Default Marketeer or Westinghouse???

I need a little or maybe ALOT of help and info.
I have done my homework, barely got any info of the web, called vintage golfs carts and now I am here by their suggestion.
I have what I think is either a 4 wheel, 6 seater Marketeer Omnibus 6 or a Westinghouse Newporter 234 Bus with the above specs.
It has a Westinghouse dual voltage(24-3HP/36-4.5HP) motor, onboard charger, and super heavy suspension. I can not find any markings, placards, vin, serial, model#, etc anywhere on the cart other then the motor placard.
There does not seem to be much out there about either of the above models so I was hoping someone had better knowledge of these carts.
I put batteries from another piece of machinery in and this thing ran well minus the not having break fluid issue which I found out when going down hill!!

I needs a paint job, batteries and seats and I think it may be good other then some small parts.

Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191106_132958.jpg (220.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191106_133159.jpg (222.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191106_133401.jpg (219.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191106_133113.jpg (214.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191106_133204.jpg (223.9 KB, 0 views)
Capt7276@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Marketeer or Westinghouse???

Sorry I can't help you identify but I did want to comment that it is one great looking cart. Hope you can restore. Would love to see the finished product.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #3
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Looks like the Marketeer Model 228 on this brochure page and other brochures I have.

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folder2.032.jpg (126.6 KB, 0 views)
mixdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

looks like the body is in pretty sound shape. great find, but definitely a project cart. have fun
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That cart is bad a$$.

I have a ton of old carts like that. Most were in a lot worse condition than what you are looking at. The schematics for the vintage electric carts are all pretty much the same in that all use a resistor bank for speed control and some type of potentiometer for changing current through the resistors. I doubt that you will find a schematic for that particular cart but I think that those that are available for vintage Cushmans and Pargos will work. Heck, I just restored something called "Sports Rider" made by a company called Kelson in 1962. I am sure that there are still a few out there but, to date, I have not been able to find anyone else who has one. I used a schematic for a 60's era Cushman Golfster on it and works great.

There is a specific "restoration" section forum here at BGW that you may want to post in and peruse. Rest assured, that cart CAN be made to run again.

If you post some pics of the guts we should be able to help out a bit with what you are looking at.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Take a look at where the motor bolts to the rearend. A square housing is not good, the pinion would break off. It can be fixed but takes some work. Other than that, those early cars are very easy to work on.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Capt7276@att.net
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info guys. It runs well, looks like there is 1 broken speed resistor coil but it still ran pretty well. I am going to upgrade to LSV status so we can use it a our house in Florida. I will add more pics as I get things done.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Nice find. Keep us updated.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt7276@att.net View Post
Thanks for the info guys. It runs well, looks like there is 1 broken speed resistor coil but it still ran pretty well. I am going to upgrade to LSV status so we can use it a our house in Florida. I will add more pics as I get things done.
Ahhh. I assumed it wasn't running. Great find. Any replacement resistor will work in there. You just have to figure out which speed your broken resistor is for.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 05:02 PM   #10
Capt7276@att.net
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys. I never got around to restoring the Marketeer 228, we have boats and the wife makes sure those take precedence over an old cart. I have it sitting in my shop but do not know when I will get to it.
I have a guy interested in purchasing it, does anyone have an idea what something like this is worth? Running condition, actually runs like a bat outta hell, on-board charging system works, drives well, new brake cylinder.
Or if anyone on here is interested in purchasing.
Thank You

Tags
marketeer, newporter, omnibus, westinghouse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts