lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
YamahaJim
Not Yet Wild

Default Thermal type switch?

Is there any thermal type switch on a 2014 Yamaha Drive cart? Something that would trigger a shutdown of all electrical power after the cart is turned on with the headlights turned on after about 40-50 seconds. That shutdown occurs with cart not running, only the key switch on and headlights on. Battery is confirmed OK and same phenomenon happens with a second cart's good battery and I've ohmed out the grounds on the individual components (as many as I could access) and the frame, engine block and starter / generator and they all were solid. The problem is very repeatable with only the time to reach shutdown varying slightly.

The cart was modified by the dealer to add the head lights, tail lights, turn signals, etc so I'm not sure if any of those add ones would present a problem like the one described above. Thanks for any advice you might have.
YamahaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Thermal type switch?

No thermal switch that I know of. And add aftermarket lights to the mix & who knows what's going on.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
YamahaJim
Not Yet Wild

If there are no thermal type switches or components, are there any components other than fuses between the battery positive and the key switch? When my cart losses all electrical power after 30/40 seconds of being turned on (with the headlights on), there is no voltage on the normally always hot side of the key switch. I haven't unbundled any of the wiring yet so I couldn't fully trace the wire leading to the key switch hot side, but didn't seem to find any relay or other device that would interrupt power. Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be? Thanks for the support.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Remove the fuse for the lights, see if problem persists.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Geoff1200
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Usually one would assume non OEM light kit would wire direct from battery to light switch with an inline fuse. Did the installer tap in elsewhere? Just wonderin....
Geoff1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
YamahaJim
Not Yet Wild

The dealer / installer of the headlights must have tapped in downstream of the key switch as the key switch will remove power from the headlight switch.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

That 40-50 seconds sounds similar to the timer used for the brake light switch in some applications. Just not sure how they could have wired something like that in so it would even be able to interrupt everything else.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
YamahaJim
Not Yet Wild

Just to close this issue out and to provide the information to anyone who experiences a similar problem, my problem turned into it to b a burned sta-con type connector (a male / female type push on connector) on the 12v wire to the key switch. I can only guess that the old connector was loose or had some corrosion in it that caused it to overheat over time and slowly degrade the physical contact between the two halves. When the cart was switched on with the headlight on, the current through that bad sta-con would be high enough to heat it up causing it to loose connectivity and shut down power to the cart. Took a long time trying to unbundle and ohm out all the wires but at least it's now fixed.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaJim View Post
"at least it's now fixed".
...And THAT is what counts. Glad you got it.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha