lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
54chevy
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha pro hauler smoking and sputters going up hills

I recently got a 2005 Yamaha pro hauler from a family member it didn’t run so I cleaned the carb and it ran but wouldn’t go up hills i changed the oil and it smelled like gas I put some new 10-30 in it and changed a month later and it still smelled like gas I also changed the air and fuel filter. It smells like it’s burning oil and it won’t go up hills if I try to go up a hill it will go up a little and stop but the engine will run for a little then stop. It’ll work fine on flat ground I can normally get it up to 18mph.
54chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha pro hauler smoking and sputters going up hills

It's probably smoking because it's overfilled with oil, due to the gas contaminating the oil.

Pull the line going from the fuel pump to the motor off at the motor. See if any fuel comes out or if this line smells like fuel. if it does, the diaphragm is torn or has a hole in it in the fuel pump, and the fuel pump needs rebuilt or replaced. Don't cheap out and get a cheap aftermarket one they suck and it's a waste of money.

Make sure the needle on the float is sealing completely. all it takes is a spec of dirt and it won't seal, it can overfill in through the carb, leak down past the rings, and get into the oil. once again, overfilling the oil and causing it to smoke.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
54chevy
Not Yet Wild

I forgot to mention in my first post it was drove into a 6 foot deep pond 2 or 3 times so I was thinking it’s something with the engine just wanted to get another persons opinion before I rebuild or replace the engine
Old 01-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ok that changes things slight

First thing I would do is check compression and do a leak down test. See where it all stands and go from there.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54chevy View Post
I forgot to mention in my first post it was drove into a 6 foot deep pond 2 or 3 times so I was thinking it’s something with the engine just wanted to get another persons opinion before I rebuild or replace the engine
Did it run bad after the first time into the pond, or did it take all 3 times?

Does the engine run at all?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
54chevy
Not Yet Wild

I wasn’t around when it happened all 3 times but it worked normal for a year and a half then it started having these problems
Old 01-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Disassemble and clean the carb. Replace the needle/float valve and bowl gasket. OEM parts are best. Search the part numbers.

#16 and #12. If the pilot screw #6 has the black cap, carefully remove it. Count the number of turns it takes to lightly seat it. Probably 1 1/2.

https://shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog...005/CARBURETOR
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
54chevy
Not Yet Wild

I got another golf cart a 1992 g9ah that makes a squealing noise when you go up hills and the golf cart will stop moving. I tried a new belt and it did nothing. So I thinks it’s something with the clutch(es). Another thing is there any way you can pull the second clutch in to make getting the belt on easier
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha