lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Installing DC Converter in Drive2 Electric

I recently picked up a 2017 Drive2 48 (6x8 volt) cart. Just going through everything and cleaning it up, I noticed the lights were wired up across two of the 8 volt batteries. I know that is NOT a good thing.

I just received a 48-12V converter from CartsUnlimited and am getting ready to get things wired up correctly. The only other thing I'll add for now will be a 12 v horn.

Question: How much heat will this converter generate?

I would like to mount it AND a fuse panel in the battery compartment. Should I fabricate some type of steel bracket to mount it to? If I just mount it to the bottom of the battery tray, could that be problematic?

Appreciate any feedback.
richj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Installing DC Converter in Drive2 Electric

The converter should not generate much heat at all. They are pretty efficient. Check your bulbs - they may not be standard automotive voltage if they are now running on over 16V. Regular automotive bulbs would not last at all under that high a voltage.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks. The lights are an aftermarket GTW LED kit, installed by the dealer that I bought the cart from.

I found the install instructions online and they do "recommend" using a voltage converter, but then it also says "Note: Use a multimeter to ensure you are connecting to no more than 16 volts to avoid damage to the light kit."

I'm still gonna go with the 48-12V reducer I picked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The converter should not generate much heat at all. They are pretty efficient. Check your bulbs - they may not be standard automotive voltage if they are now running on over 16V. Regular automotive bulbs would not last at all under that high a voltage.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #4
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Doing some more planning before installing that 48-12V converter and figured I'd go ahead and get a battery meter. Ordered one from CartsUnlimited and went ahead and bundled it up with a 12 volt fuse block. That stuff should arrive next week.

In the meantime, I ran some wires from the dashboard area back to the battery compartment. Figured I'd just bundle some up for future expansion. Also going to mount this 12V marine horn I picked up to alert neighbors to get out of my way.

C813D189-2B65-45BD-964E-82A238D13682.jpg

6FD816FA-1CB6-4810-8688-0CC7951E7323.jpg
Old 06-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I like the horn
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Carts Unlimited rocks! Received the fuse block and battery meter. Got everything all wired up nicely. The horn is the loudest 12V I could find, same one I installed in my Toyota LandCruiser. 120 decibels is pretty loud! I just stuffed it under the frond cowl and screwed it into the plastic up there.

1DBB5382-4C2F-4C71-84B5-75295B849B41.jpg

The volt meter was easy enough. Turned out nice.

59E50F73-5831-43F6-A26D-50D8A98EF198.jpg

The RHOX 3" lift should be here in a couple days. The tires and wheels arrived last week. I'll be terrorizing the neighbors in a few days... :)

I think I need to shop for a nice steering wheel now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha