lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
123ozzie
Not Yet Wild

Default cart "stuttering" then quits.

First time using a used cart we bought. New batteries that had 46 volts on them at beginning of the day. The brand new voltage indicator went from 90% down to 30% by the end of the day. Cart started slowing down then "stuttering" then completely quit. After letting it sit for a few hours, it would drive maybe 150 feet then slow down, stutter, then quit. Is this simply because the batteries are drained down too much? I've never had a cart before so not sure if this is a sign of depleted batteries or something bigger. I unfortunately left the charger at home (cart is at campground). Thanks in advance for any responses!
123ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: cart "stuttering" then quits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123ozzie View Post
First time using a used cart we bought. New batteries that had 46 volts on them at beginning of the day. The brand new voltage indicator went from 90% down to 30% by the end of the day. Cart started slowing down then "stuttering" then completely quit. After letting it sit for a few hours, it would drive maybe 150 feet then slow down, stutter, then quit. Is this simply because the batteries are drained down too much? I've never had a cart before so not sure if this is a sign of depleted batteries or something bigger. I unfortunately left the charger at home (cart is at campground). Thanks in advance for any responses!
What you're describing is low voltage, weak batteries.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

After charging it should have about 50 volts sounds like there is a dead cell
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #4
123ozzie
Not Yet Wild

Thanks sthreatt and Roxyflash, I was hoping that's what the problem was. When we go back I'll bring my charger. Just wasn't sure how a cart acts with weak batteries.
123ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Likely the pack is dead, meaning it’s at the point where it may need to be replaced.
A full charge on a 48v pack should be 50.9V at rest, Roughly 12 hours after a full charge.
Each battery by itself should be around 8.49v. The lowest that is generally acceptable is about 8.1v below that the battery capacity is generally so low you would barely make it across the street.

You may have one or two batteries that are much lower voltage than the rest of the pack, if that’s the case the pack is “unbalanced” and those lower batteries will always have a lower state of charge than the rest of the pack. If the pack is more than a few years old, the entire pack should be replaced.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car