lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
kizmys
Not Yet Wild

Default DS Drive Clutch Replacement Questions

The drive clutch on my '01 DS is worn to the point it's chewing up belts. The cart shop guy offered a used part, but then said it was the wrong one and offered a new one for $400. I am lazy to do the repair but don't have $400 laying around.

My DIY questions:

1) Assuming I can pop the clutch off the driveshaft horizontally, do I need to drop the engine to clear the frame? The service manual is not specific about this.
2) What is the thread size of the clutch puller? I don't want to spend $50 on a puller and saw some neat YT vids using a pipe tape wrapped bolt after filling the hole with grease. I'd like to try this, but the vids were not golf cart clutches.

Thanks for any help
kizmys is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: DS Drive Clutch Replacement Questions

$400 for a new clutch is absurd, I don't think they even cost that much direct from Club Car. The cheapie clutches from the jungle store for $150 are usually fine. They wont last As long as an original CC clutch, but they usually last several years.

The cheapo Belts are usually Not fine, and they don't last no matter what kind of clutch you have. If your cart guy has been selling you junk belts that's probably most of the problem.
If the cart drives fine otherwise, you might just need a new belt from Club Car. I recommend original Club Car belts, whether you replace the clutch or not. You can get both belts from Revolution Golf Cars, one of our site sponsors, for under $40. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/gas-service

Looking at the clutch, the only real reason to replace it is if the sheaves (the cones) of the clutch are grooved or look like they are wavy. They generally have to be pretty bad before I will replace them vs just rebuilding the clutch.

You can find clutch puller tools for much less than $50 if you search around, or you can make one using various methods. There are a few threads here about it, and plenty of others on google. If you have a bucket of old bolts laying around you probably have the stuff already.
The threads for the puller bolt are 7/16-20 RH thread. If you go with the bolt and Rod method make sure both are Grade 8 or equivalent.

The bolt that holds the clutch on is LEFT Hand thread, turn to the Right to remove it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

First, you can get an aftermarket one from Amazon for around $120. They work fine in my experiences. May not last as long as oem but I ran one on my carryall for a couple years without any problems. You may need to swap the starter/gen pulley on the back of it with the oem one from your old clutch. Sometimes they’re different sizes.

You don’t need to remove the engine. If the cart is lifted it will come straight out no problem. If it’s not lifted you MAY have to unbolt the leaf spring to move it out of the way depending on your tool set, but I don’t usually have any problems.

Finally, if you’ve never done it before, just get the correct puller. You can use a bolt and hardened steel rod as a puller (I do) but if you’ve never done it before then it’s worth the $20-30 for the tool to do it right, depending on where you get it from. If you use the wrong size or hardness of cobbled together parts, it will goober up the end of the crankshaft ans you’re in for a much bigger mess than you started.

Also note the bolt holding the clutch on is reverse thread. That’s lefty-tighty and righty-loosy. Get it backwards and you could create a world of hurt for yourself if you turn it left to try and remove the bolt.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
$400 for a new clutch is absurd, I don't think they even cost that much direct from Club Car. The cheapie clutches from the jungle store for $150 are usually fine. They wont last As long as an original CC clutch, but they usually last several years.

The cheapo Belts are usually Not fine, and they don't last no matter what kind of clutch you have. If your cart guy has been selling you junk belts that's probably most of the problem.
If the cart drives fine otherwise, you might just need a new belt from Club Car. I recommend original Club Car belts, whether you replace the clutch or not. You can get both belts from Revolution Golf Cars, one of our site sponsors, for under $40. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/gas-service

Looking at the clutch, the only real reason to replace it is if the sheaves (the cones) of the clutch are grooved or look like they are wavy. They generally have to be pretty bad before I will replace them vs just rebuilding the clutch.

You can find clutch puller tools for much less than $50 if you search around, or you can make one using various methods. There are a few threads here about it, and plenty of others on google. If you have a bucket of old bolts laying around you probably have the stuff already.
The threads for the puller bolt are 7/16-20 RH thread. If you go with the bolt and Rod method make sure both are Grade 8 or equivalent.

The bolt that holds the clutch on is LEFT Hand thread, turn to the Right to remove it.

Guess you beat me
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
kizmys
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

Thanks for the reply, that's a lot of good info. I did a lot of heavy hauling this Spring and the moving wheel had actually worn completely through - it looks like a spoked wheel, and that is what is chewing up the belt. However, I just talked with the shop and they were able to find the right used part. $175 OEM part + labor, so I'm satisfied. I had already ordered a Kevlar belt which should show up today or tomorrow. It's now a moot point, but thanks again for the response.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
kizmys
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
First, you can get an aftermarket one from Amazon for around $120. They work fine in my experiences. May not last as long as oem but I ran one on my carryall for a couple years without any problems. You may need to swap the starter/gen pulley on the back of it with the oem one from your old clutch. Sometimes they’re different sizes.

You don’t need to remove the engine. If the cart is lifted it will come straight out no problem. If it’s not lifted you MAY have to unbolt the leaf spring to move it out of the way depending on your tool set, but I don’t usually have any problems.

Finally, if you’ve never done it before, just get the correct puller. You can use a bolt and hardened steel rod as a puller (I do) but if you’ve never done it before then it’s worth the $20-30 for the tool to do it right, depending on where you get it from. If you use the wrong size or hardness of cobbled together parts, it will goober up the end of the crankshaft ans you’re in for a much bigger mess than you started.

Also note the bolt holding the clutch on is reverse thread. That’s lefty-tighty and righty-loosy. Get it backwards and you could create a world of hurt for yourself if you turn it left to try and remove the bolt.
Thanks for your response. I am totally comfortable doing the repair, just lacking the energy to do it. Was just trying to get an idea of the tools I'd need to take to the campground if I needed to change it out, but as I stated on the previous post it's taken care of. Time, to get on with continuing to enjoy Summer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car