lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
CCJ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unhappy 2001 CC performace dropoff

Have had my 01 CC DS for 3 years and after running it for about 5 weeks this spring it started having problems, seemingly overnight. Where it used to start with never being choked it has to be choked until well warmed up. It will act like it runs out of gas after a few miles, can choke it along until it picks up again. It also has very poor response at partial throttle where it used to be smooth as silk. I have noticed both fuel filters look pretty much empty of fuel when having problems. Oh, and it backfires where it never did before. Have had 3 different mechanics (+ me) work on it. Rebuilt then replaced the fuel pump and carberator with little change, replaced the coil. Drained the fuel tank and replaced all fuel lines along with the filters (again). It doesn't seem to be the fuel or electrical systems (unless there is something we missed) could the timing have slipped? I'm going to check the valve adjustment next, could this be the cause? Any ideas at to what to check? My wife is ready to trade it in, i'm ready to drop in a V-twin but would rather not drop the $s. Thanks!
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
CCJ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2001 CC performace dropoff

I am in deep trouble indeed if there are no suggestions here! I did check the valve clearance and both were the spec .005. Could the timing have slipped somehow? Any information on checking the timing available? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
jimbo123
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You might check the air cleaner is all the way forward. also is the fuel tank vent open?
Just a couple of the simple things to check. You might check the fuelpump is pumping into a container, it isn't much.
Good Luck
jimbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
CCJ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for the ideas! i will check them out.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
CCJ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Re: 2001 CC performance dropoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
... also is the fuel tank vent open?
... You might check the fuelpump is pumping into a container, it isn't much.
Good Luck
thanks again for the ideas, jimbo. i disconnected the carb vent tube and fuel tank vent tube and blew air through them to make sure they are open. i thought about doing the same to the fuel pickup and fuel tank vent but am not sure that it wont damage something. do the pickup and vent pop out of the gas tank or is there a trick to it? i don't want to yank them out and end up having to buy a new tank!

i have checked the fuel pump when i was draining the fuel tank and it seems to push a good amount of fuel through. i didn't measure it but it was a pretty steady stream.

one thing that bothers me is that after a long run where it has acted like it is running out of fuel the fuel filters are all but empty. when i check after it sits overnight they are both full of fuel. it doesn't add up to me how the fuel is draining into the filters, almost like there is negative pressure on the carb side. again, thanks for any ideas!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

We worked on a C.C. the other day that was having similar symptoms as yours, not exactly, but close. We did everything from fuel pump to carb. Pulled the pickup tube from the tank and checked it. Couldn't figure it out and come to find out there was a blockage in the tank pickup tube, but you couldn't see it because the blockage was actually in the 90 degree elbow at the top of the tank. Actually had to remove the pickup tube from the elbow and there was some junk in the elbow. You could check that out on yours. Just a thought.
yamahag9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
pbillyi69
shut up & hang on

Club Car

did you replace the fuel pump impulse line as well? i had similar problems with mine a while back and after checking and replacing a bunch of stuff it turned out to be the impulse line had a tiny hole in it and it was just enough to cause havoc. is it backfiring out the exhaust or through the carb?
pbillyi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
CCJ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thumbs up Re: 2001 CC performace dropoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahag9er View Post
We worked on a C.C. the other day that was having similar symptoms as yours, not exactly, but close. We did everything from fuel pump to carb. Pulled the pickup tube from the tank and checked it. Couldn't figure it out and come to find out there was a blockage in the tank pickup tube, but you couldn't see it because the blockage was actually in the 90 degree elbow at the top of the tank. Actually had to remove the pickup tube from the elbow and there was some junk in the elbow. You could check that out on yours. Just a thought.
thanks for the idea, from what it is doing, not being able to keep enough fuel flowing, that sounds like a good possibility. unfortunately i'm clueless as to how to pull the pickup tube. it looks like it would just snap out and back in, maybe it is threaded, but i don't want to screw up the whole tank by doing something i shouldn't. how is the pickup tube removed?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
CCJ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbillyi69 View Post
did you replace the fuel pump impulse line as well? i had similar problems with mine a while back and after checking and replacing a bunch of stuff it turned out to be the impulse line had a tiny hole in it and it was just enough to cause havoc. is it backfiring out the exhaust or through the carb?
thanks for the idea. after i replaced all of the fuel lines and that didn't fix it i replaced the impulse line also with no change.

it is backfiring through the exhaust, which is easier to live with than backfiring through the carb, this i know from experience!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

The elbow threads into the tank so all you have to do is just unscrew it and it comes right out.
yamahag9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car