lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
coachalan
Not Yet Wild

Default Air Fuel Mix Question

I'm a coach of a girls HS softball team and we recently rec'd a gas powered Club Car golf cart that was donated by a wmoen whos father had recently passed. Best I can tell it's about 20 years old (there is a 1988 written under the seat), it looks great and was garaged and looks to be well maintained. The coaching staff is ecstatic about not having to kill our backs dragging the field and we can do this with a cart, but we seem to be having a bit of a problem with getting the cart running properly. We swapped out the battery, swapped the fuel and the air filter and now the unit starts fine, but when you depress the gas pedal, the only way to get the wheels to turn is to monkey with the air intake. By regulating or choking it off a bit more heavily, the belt will engage and respond to the accellerator. I can't do enough with the choke button, I have to remove the end of the air chamber that plugs into the choke and cover it by hand. So I'm thinking that I've got an issue with the air/fuel mix, but I'm not sure what to try next. The cart was garaged and had not been run for some time, but apparently had been running fine a year or so back, so my issues may be related to it just sitting. Any guidance is appreciated as the school district is already whining about a lack of budget money so any repairs to get this thing going are likely to have to come out of the pockets of the softball coaching staff.
coachalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Air Fuel Mix Question

Had the same problem with our ez-go, we cleaned the carb and adjusted it. I found the same air problem with ours too so I manually choked it with my hand as you did and ran the motor (make sure its in neutral) as fast as it would go forcing out any remaining dirt or deposits in any jets. I did have to readjust the choke cable, I elliminated about a half an inch off the end next to the carb. Also I readjusted the the idol screw to compensate for the choke adjustement. Runs like a champ now.... Our cart sounded like it had no compression, back fired quite a bit but didnt have enough fuel/air ratio to kick the motor over until I did the few simple adjustments. I hope that helps some. If not I hope someone chimes in after me to help you fix it. Good Luck!
hotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
coachalan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick response. We have yet to clean the carburator, so that might be next on the list. I'll try running it at a high RPM again and see if I can blow out the jets too. On the choke cable, the best I can see on this unit is that it's a simple round button that, when depressed, simply cuts off a little of the air flow from the large chamber that feeds into the air filter and there is no actual cable that connects to the carburator. Clearly, even when that choke button is depressed, the mix is too "air rich" to engage the belt.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

But when you pull the air filter off and choke it manually does the motor start or is it just spinning with no fire?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
coachalan
Not Yet Wild

OK, so if I put cart on a jack to raise the rear wheels and put it in forward or reverse, the unit will idle but the wheels won't engage. Sometimes I can depress the accelerator and back it off in steps and the belt will engage, but it's intermitent at best. But I can consistently get the belt to engage when I remove the chamber attachement from the back of the choke button, and put my hand over the roughly 3 inch opening, covering it about 3/4 of the way. The the belt engages, the wheels spin, and I'm good to go. Make sense?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

It makes since-which tells me that the choke has to have an adjustement somewhere....
Old 08-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

Sticky: Gas Club Car Diagrams 1984-2005 ( 1 2)

Try checking this out, the carb diagram is posted here.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

i think if it has been sitt'in around a bit the carb needs a good cleaning no matter what. i would take the time and do it or take it off and have a shop do it. then you have a base to work from.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzamaker View Post
i think if it has been sitt'in around a bit the carb needs a good cleaning no matter what. i would take the time and do it or take it off and have a shop do it. then you have a base to work from.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Pizza man is right the carb needs a good cleaning and Hotmomma if it is real dirty and he manages to get it revved up it could be to lean and burn a piston.

a CLEAN CARB IS A HAPPY CARB, use a fuel stabilizer year round it won't cost that much, then the gas sitting in your mowers trimmers cart and 5 gllon can is good to go.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car