lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Utility Box Project for '02 CC

I needed a box, so I built one. It is 3/4" plywood (mostly) with two 2" x 12" short sides that are removable. The short sides are held in place with removable lag screws and there are four pins in the bottom of each short side to prevent lateral (sideways) movement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UB_02_CC.jpg (193.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg UB_02_Utility Box.jpg (130.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg UB_02_Profile.jpg (149.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg UB_02_Support[1].jpg (178.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg UB_02_Support[2].jpg (138.6 KB, 10 views)
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default More pics

The hinges in the bottom make the box "collapsable" by removing the short sides and folding the long sides down. Then the box becomes a platform, which has some advantages.

The biggest problem was keeping the original vertical back seat hand support as close to OEM as possible. A small amount of bending and four additional drilled holes through the double tube uprights was necessary to make the normally vertical hand support into the horizontal member in the photo.

Everything may be returned to OEM, except the four drilled holes in the uprights and two drilled holes in the 3" x 3" aluminum angles that support the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UB_02_Plan.jpg (109.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg UB_02_Connex.jpg (101.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Utility Box Project for '02 CC

I had been using a wheel barrow to transport loads of dirt across the yard. That got tedious and exhausting. So the box, with one side removed, is a great dirt hauler.

Currently, the design has four inherent flaws.

1.) When the box is fully loaded, the additional weight and offset location of the load will lift the front wheels off of the ground. The driver's weight and a relatively slow operating speed is sufficient to maneuver and power the cart.

2.) When the box is loaded, the wheels rub the frame of the cart. It now needs a a clutch spring, lift kit, larger diameter tires, and heavy duty springs.

3.) If the box is overloaded or the cart abused (operated too fast), the two 3" x 3" aluminum angles that support all of the weight could tear out the aluminum welds at the bottom of the twin vertical tubes. Not a pleasant prospect. But then, I don't intend to overload or abuse...

4.) Extending the box supports rearward without adding ground clearance (aspect ratio?) does "bottom out" if crossing a depression. This too can tear out welds. Caution is the word until #2 is completed.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

you would be better off to use a dump trailer. check out tractor supply, or walmart, or craigslist in your area. i bought a 17cubic foot dump trailer for my lawn tractor several years ago, but i mostly use it with my golf cart. pushing a wheelbarrow around five acres was just too much of a work out for me. the golf cart handles find even when fully loaded. i have moved several tons this way. the cart new cost me less than $100.00 and has probably saved me from having a heart attack (priceless).
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is not altogether for hauling dirt. It is intended for hauling deer in Hunting Season (HS). As it is not now HS, I can't test it for its intended purpose, so the dirt will have to do - for the time being anyway. Also, hauling seed, fertilizer, implements of food plot construction, the trash cans for kids to curbside pickup, orange picking, etc.

When the lift kit is installed, and I believe it should include the trailer hitch/receiver, then the lawn tractor dump trailer will indeed be the right choice as it is independently supported on two wheels and an axle that would then use the cart for forward and reverse.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

how big do deer get in florida? in indiana they don't get much over 200 lb. ever. it seems like maybe having a full grown neighbor in the cargo box could simulate a dead deer.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Guaranteed, a 200# Florida deer would be one Big Boy and would probably make the local paper. So, my kids (2), standing in the box equal 175# and that is a sufficient load test.

Even so, that test is "Ritually Unclean!" It is not the intended test, which would otherwise make me a Happy Camper. Know what I mean? That test will be this Fall in South Carolina...to see if the new CC can hunt!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

how you gonna kill this deer??? with a 9 iron?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's a "superstition" thing. If it can't hunt, then it gets sold for one that can. Had a brand new 8-cyl gasoline PU truck like that in '99 that got smacked by a deer when it was only 9 hours old. Killed the deer but took $4,000 worth of front end damage . That truck wouldn't hunt AT ALL after that incident. Worst hunting season I ever had until I got rid of it. After which, with a new DIESEL PU truck, hunting returned to "normal". It's like that.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

i got a local deer with my plymouth neon last year. flipped it like a pancake. only damage: small dent on the hood. neon vs. deer. car: small dent, deer: wild cart wheel and wopper head ache. i don't hunt, but if i did i'd use the neon. it's already tried and proven. when is car season?????
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car