lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Cart won't start after turning off

I was out working last night and some one spilled drink all over the floor of my cart. How they got it out of he bar and why hey couldn't hold it is beyond me. She was a rude ignorant biiiaaaatch,too. Anyway, after I dropped them I went to clean it off and turned off my cart.

It didn't start back up. I had shut it off a couple times during the night and it started back up fine. This happened about 3 hours into the night of driving. I have a good battery and solenoid, relay, fuses, microswitches all look like they are working properly. It's just not turning over. I would say it's the start/gen but it was just replaced with a rebuilt one maybe three weeks ago. All the connections look tight and clean on the battery and start/gen.

I'm going to the cart to work on it after only 4 hours sleep cause this is memorial day weekend and it's a busy weekend I need to work. Might be the last big weekend for the whole summer around here. Summer is slow time in Phx area. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check on and what troubleshoot things I can do?

Thanks in advance.
Pipsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart won't start after turning off

Pipsta, if it isnt one thing its another with that cart isnt it. I hate that $hit... I wouldnt know to tell where to start as there are so many different things that could be wrong. Besides the pedal start, can we bypass that with a starter switch to get it to turn over incase this happens again? Its like a second way to start it just incase? Just a thought as you need this for business.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Mine's a key start. I initially thought it was the start/gen, even though it was just replaced with a rebuilt one, that's where the symptoms lead me at least. After more testing today that's what it seems like it is. With the key on and system activated by turning to 'start' I got power everywhere it needs to be including 12.2 volts to the start/gen but no turning, just a solenoid click. There must be a fault inside the unit and fortunately the thing is still under warranty. The only problem is getting a hold of the guy for him to replace the thing by the end of the day so I can drive tonight and tomorrow night.

Busy weekend and I will miss out on hundreds of dollars if I can't. I got a hold of his brother who is his biz partner and the guy with most of the experience in golf carts. Told him who I was and what's up. He said 'oh yeah, we'll take care of it'. I told him about my time issue and he said he remembered me and my deal and will get in touch with his brother to let him know.

I guess we'll see. I called around and can't find another start/gen available anywhere that's open today. Kinda frustrated to say the least....
Old 05-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

***, if your gonna keep it stock, might wanna get another for backup, I would
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

I was starting to compile a emergency stock of parts, volt reg, microswitches, relay, stuff like that so a smaller part wouldn't waste my whole weekend. Didn't realize I would need to keep a backup of everything....lol. I just started to get my finances back in order so I wasn't operating on a shoestring but hadn't really gotten to a point of a comfortable cushion yet. Spent some on small junk but who thinks a 3 week old rebuilt start/gen would bite me in the azz? Not me but I guess there is a learning curve in everything.

I left the house with an idea that there could be a chance of either a locked up star/gen cause of bearings or even worse, locked up motor. Glad it wasn't time for a new motor. I'd be sooooooo screwed. Still. Don't want to waste my potentially last big money weekend of the summer on beers and barbecue ...not that it's a bad thing but I can do both can't I?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
papaw
Gone Wild

Club Car

It sounds like for the most part you're working on the cart more than driving it.
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

LOL...I actually have been driving it around 30hrs per week for the past few weeks. That's according to the hour meter. I kind of expected some issues to pop up at the beginning but hoped to get that out of the way sooner than later. This start/gen foul up seems like it was kind of a fluke rarity for a part that was just overhauled.

Most of the work on it the past couple weeks was creature comfort upgrades. Stereo, subs, battery and the floors under the seats to keep it all in. Hehehe
Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

have you tried jumping the solenoid even though its clicking? if not try it even a clicking solenoid dosn,t mean its good............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

It turned out to be the start/gen. The person who did the rebuild of it didn't seat the brushes correctly. New brushes were put in it and I installed it along with a new belt. Works fine now and it even seems to be charging better at lower rpms now, too, cause of the new belt. The belt I took off was cracked so badly all the way around and had chunks of the V missing in places I'm surprised that thing even held up at all.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
rib33024

Good to hear it's fixed and your back on the road--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car