lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
kfvoth
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter problems

HI to all. I have a 1992 club car gas that is having starter problems. Some times when I press throttle it starts fine and the next time it seems like there is no juice going to starter. If I move the throttle up and down it will usually start. Sometimes it will be fine for 3 or 4 starts and then nothing. Do you have any suggestions as to my problem. I was thinking I my need a new starter but they are expensive and was hoping for a cheaper cure. Thanks for any help.
kfvoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
CLUBCARGREENMACHINE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Starter problems

BRUSHES. u can check this by tapping the stater with a hammer and see if it starts, if it does its the brushes!
*starter is found under black access cover behind seat*
1. remove all wire connected to starter, and tape them off
2. remove the 3 bolts holding starter on
3. remove starter, take it to the bench.
4. remove all 4 rubber covers around the starter
5. using compressed air, blow out the old dust. ( dont breathe it in)
6. unscrew all 4 brush wires (1 per brush, per rubber cover)
7. with a flat blade screwdriver, carefully pry up the spring holding the brush down, dont let go!
8. while holding the spring up, pull on the wire and the brush should come out.
9. still holding the spring put the new brush in.
10. release the spring, and be sure that is is in the grove on the top of the brush.
11. repeat on all 4 brushes.
12. replace all 4 screws
13. replace all 4 rubber covers
14. loosly replace the two top bolts holding the starter.
15. turn the starter towards the front of the cart to tension belt, while turing, replace and tighten the bolt on the slide (bottom bolt
16. tighten top bolts.
17. replace wires
18. replace access cover
CLUBCARGREENMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
kfvoth
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your response.Will change and see if that is the answer
kfvoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
rollingon12s
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Had the same issue with my cart last year. Change the brushes, even if they are close to the wear marks, & make sure your battery is up to snuff. Since I did these two things it hasn't missed a beat so far this year
rollingon12s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Also while it's out replace the bushings/bearings and resurface the armature (where the brushes ride) with some fine emorycloth or if it's really worn chuck it up in a drill (poor mans lathe) and smooth the area with a fine file.
If your gonna do it, do it once.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

there are 4 rubber inspection plugs on the starter you can pop 3 of them off without having to touch the starter and you,ll get an idea of whats left on brushes.........each brush sits in a metel brush holder and brushes have a minimum wear line........if your brush wear line is at the top of holder replace brushes even if the wear line is close............you might find the tops of the brush down in the the holder in that case replace for sure and since you,ll have to take starter out to replace them you might as well go over the whole starter..............not a bad job to do.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car