lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
wingnutracer
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex 212 Sn 158761 Wiring info.

New Guy to carts and I don't know anything about anything. That being said I love to fix things and learn as I go. There are downsides like breaking what your trying to fix. Before I break this cart I figured I would ask first and try and save some money.
The cart runs and drives. There is a 2 position toggle switch next to the F\R selector. I have no idea what it is for. It seems to do nothing currently. There is also one on the dash and I am assuming (I know, I know). It is the headlight switch. It also is inop. Are the headlights 6 volt on these carts?
Where do I check for 36 volts at when the batts are all charged? I have the charger and it never seems to attain a full charge from the meter on the charger. I am assuming (I know, I know) the batts need replacing but would like to make sure.
I will try and remember my camera tomorrow and get some pictures so I can point and grunt.
Background.....I bought this to get me around while shooting sporting clays. Some of our courses can be a mile or more and some are all full of hills. I have a junk pelvis, hip and right leg so I will be hating life if this thing runs out of suds mid course.
Thanks Art
wingnutracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
wingnutracer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Melex 212 Sn 158761 Wiring info.

I also have a rear brake problem. I'm not sure what it's called but the brake pad follower is broken. Any Ideas as to where I can find one of these?Melex brakes 001.jpg

Melex brakes 002.jpg
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
wingnutracer
Not Yet Wild

Here are some photos.

Melex brakes 006.jpg Melex brakes 003.jpg In the first pic is a solenoid on the back wall on the passenger side. Any Ideas as to what it does?. The 2nd is a fused (blown) jumper to the chassis. Why?

Melex brakes 005.jpg Melex brakes 004.jpg I included these just because you guy's seem to be able to figure out stuff from them. Kind of like reading tea leaves i guess.

Melex brakes 007.jpg This is the toggle from the first post.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Try
http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/...ategory=100017
For parts and wiring diagrams.
1 The fuse holder to the chassis must be removed. NEVER ground to the frame on an electric cart.
2 The headlights are normally 12 Volts ( some times you tap off two of the 6 volt battery's to get 12 volts ) not the best way because it causes those two battery's drain lower than the rest of the pack.
3 the toggle sw at the F and R handle was probably added for an electrical accessory. Same with the solenoid that is not used connected.
4 Solenoids are used for high amperage accessory's,lights radios ,ect so all the current doesn't burn up your switch.
5 Pack voltage is measured at the positive terminal where the charger connects and the negative terminal where charger connects to the battery pack.
Do a search on this forum for State of Charge readings. You will find that when a 36 volt battery pack reads 36 volts they are considered near dead or 40% charged.
Some rear axles are the same as the ones used on ez go carts.
As you will see there are several people that have nothing good to say about a Melex then will rave great things about somebody that spends 2 grand on a 20 year old ez go or Club car. Most of them are parts changers not mechanics. There are hundreds of great people willing to help that don't care what brand you are working on.
Barry

Last edited by BLakeside; 11-02-2010 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: State of Charge
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
BLakeside
Gone Wild

I forgot
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
wingnutracer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome!
I stopped by my local shop to see about the brake follower. They didn't have a clue what it is. No interchange with Ez Go. I went ahead and made my own by cutting up an old 5 gallon can, bending the steel and riveting it together.

Thanks for the info on the pack voltage reading.

Where do the lights usually hook up. It would be nice to make them work. Here in the Great North West it gets dark at 4:00 pm in the winter. Ya gotta love that daylight savings crap.
There is a red wire that is broken and dangling in the battery compartment and for the life of me I can't find where it came from.

Thanks again Art
Old 03-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
deanche
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok Gentlemen ... I'm involved with reviving a 212 melex which had the misfortune of a swim with Hurricane Ike.... We have disassembled the motor and cleaned all the mud rust ,and other contaminents out of it. now for the reassembly... My question is when Looking from the end of the armature. are the brushess,on the phenolic board wired in clockwise rotation, + - + - or are the wired ++ --.
deanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex