lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
karoded
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 G16e controller appears to be dead

I just received a 1996 Yamaha G16E along with a seasonal campsite. The batteries hadn't been maintained properly over the winter so it took several rounds of charging to get them powered up but the cart still doesn't run. Symptoms and troubleshooting....

1.) Cleaned all contacts and replaced suspect battery cables as part of getting them charged, The pack is at about 42 volts fully charged and remained above about 38 through all the testing.
2.) Turn key and press accelerator....the relay clicks but no motor movement (not even jacked up). Switching to reverse does activate the reverse beeper but still no go.
3.) Shorting the relay makes no difference
4.) I checked the accelerator resistance at the connector to the controller and it does change across each end to the center contact....I didn't record the exact readings unfortunately
5.) I manually tested the motor and the powered wheel turns (I am assuming both are not supposed to).
6.) Monitoring voltage on the motor terminal A2 shows no change when the accelerator is pressed in either forward or reverse....I would expect it to drop if I am reading the schematic correctly.

To me it appears that all the inputs are working and it must be the controller but I am new to this and would like some feedback from the experts.

Assuming it is the controller, I plan to replace it with a GE 36/48V, 500A G14/G16 0-1K; is that a good controller for this cart? I need something other than the $1,000 Yamaha Replacement.

TIA for whatever you can offer

Ken
karoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 96 G16e controller appears to be dead

Check out this thread first, and then we'll try to take it from there

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-whats-up.html
Mayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

Can you tell the pack volts? after the batteries have been off the charger for 12 hours, thats how long it takes to get a true reading, and take the volts of each battery, and post them here.

do you know how old the batteries are?

did you check the water before charging them?

did the cart run good before it was parked for winter?

you said the batteries hadn't been maintained properly over the winter, how cold did it get where the cart was sitting?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
karoded
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback....it is 36v cart. I have tested each cell with a hydrometer and they were all good. Approx 6 hours after replacing battery cables and getting a charge on it the pack was reading 38.2. When I get up there tomorrow I can check the readings before plugging the charger back in.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
rib33024

Does the solenoid click when you turn the key on, put it in Forward or reverse, and press the go pedal ?.watch out that the cart don't take off and hurt some thing or some one, you never know when it might take off, while testing it.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
karoded
Not Yet Wild

Yes, the solenoid clicks when the pedal is pressed and I have tried putting a jumper across the contacts to ensure it isn't dead.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
karoded
Not Yet Wild

After sitting for mopre than 24 hours, the entire pack is reading 38v and each individual battery is reading 6.3
Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Have you taken a look at that thread that i posted above? I just went through a very similar experience, and perhaps what i went through may help you out.

Other than that, you mention the possibility of a different controller. The Alltrax controller that I have seems to be working well (minus the bard issue that I had)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
karoded
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback....I did look at your link and had already replaced the suspect battery cables. There is 38V on A2 of the motor and it does not get pulled to ground as the schematic seems to indicate that it should when the pedal is pressed; so I am sure there could be some failed switch or other input problem that I missed in the troubleshooting described; but it seems more likely that it is the controller.

What alltrax did you buy? I already have the GE on order but would be interested in replacement stories for any controller

Ken
Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Here are some pics of it

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha