lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
maplesmacbook@comcast.net
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Red face Yamaha G22 passenger tire slides when turning

I have a 2003 Yamaha G22. Since day one i've noticed when i turn to the left my passenger front wheel slides/drags as its turning causing a staggering feeling.

I have 12" tires/rims on it. it did this before i began my complete overhaul/BMW theme.

It only does it when i make a left turn. Now that im nearing the end of my obsession with transforming it to a BMW M3 i'm concerned about this tire sliding issue due to the fact that it wears on that front passenger tire quite a bit.

My local Golf Cart Shop is confused by it. when they turn the wheel all the way to either side it appears that the range of steer is equal.

This is so annoying and i'm convinced that something will "Give" eventually causing the problem to be identified immediately. The only problem is that i fear it may cause more damage than if i could isolate it prior to it breaking.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone ever successfully modified a G22 so you could use a separate coil over shock vs the strut like one it has?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...172.1464405066
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00147.jpg (92.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1144.jpg (266.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1251.jpg (136.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by maplesmacbook@comcast.net; 09-15-2011 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Image upload
maplesmacbook@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G22 passenger tire slides when turning

From the 3rd picture, looks like you have negative camber. Maybe the king pin and bushings are bad, but more likely your cushion (as Yamaha calls it)/shock assy is weak. Also I would check your toe in setting. I have set may at zero toe in to stop the "skidding" affect. Nice car
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Nice seat covers
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have tightened up the shocks with collars. It doesnt tow in any longer. The link to facebook shows all the pics. So you think i should replace the shocks(cushion) to fix the issue?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplesmacbook@comcast.net View Post
I have tightened up the shocks with collars. It doesnt tow in any longer. The link to facebook shows all the pics. So you think i should replace the shocks(cushion) to fix the issue?
Couldn't get the facebook link to open, looking at picture #3 again, maybe toed out? What are your measurements?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

here's a little better view of the front. if the weather is better i'll try and get some better close ups and level photos. i'll post some pics of the tie rods and arm assemblies as well. the pic of my dash is just for fun. I have a fusion marine amplifier in the glove box, two 6" mid range speakers, also marine. The amp has an auto sensing function. When it senses any voltage (from the aux input) it comes on. The ipod is simply my stereo. the 3.5mm jack is just an input to the amp. you can put your phone on it too and if its an android or smart phone you have an instant PA system lol.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

i'll work on some measurements
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Nice seat covers
thanks dave. i've actually taken the rear a step further. i removed all the bulky metal, had the seat shaved down and the rear seat now sits recessed in the cargo area. its seldom used and the original rear seat kit weighed over 180lbs.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

I've had several to do that they were caused by the steering rack being broken. Turn steering wheel all the way to the left and pull out on the rear of the front passenger side tire with your hand. If it moves/has play and the driver side tire doesnt, then it sounds like a broken steering box to me.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
I've had several to do that they were caused by the steering rack being broken. Turn steering wheel all the way to the left and pull out on the rear of the front passenger side tire with your hand. If it moves/has play and the driver side tire doesnt, then it sounds like a broken steering box to me.
bingo. i think you're right. it pops on the passenger side not the driver. thanks for the tip!

Tags
steering issues, tire dragging, tire skidding, turning issues
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha