lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
thholr
Not Yet Wild

Default replaced battery but still have issues

Bought the golf cart 2 years ago and everything worked great. A few months ago the batteries didnt last very long anymore. I did a full charge and tested the batteries. This is a 48V golf car and 3 of the batteries that were newer were reading 9.7 and the other 3 were reading 9. From what I read if the difference is greater than 0.5 V or any batteries are below 9.3V then they are bad.
I went and got 3 new Trojan batteries to replace the bad ones. Got everything installed again and fully charged but now I seem to get weird readings. After a full charge I am now seeing 8.3V on the 3 older trojan batteries and 8.9V on the brand new trojan batteries. It is the same multimeter set to 200V that I am using to test this with. What could be the cause. It is below 0 today , but surely the weather cannot make such a big difference. I went and took it for a drive and it seems to be loosing charge very quickly and seems slower than usual .

This is a yamaha G22 . I did a test across all the battery packs and measured 51.1V. Does this tell me the batteries are all good ?
Is there a very noticeable power loss due to the cold weather ??
thholr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: replaced battery but still have issues

most batteries are testes at 32'. that freezing. if you are doing it at 0 than you will get a diff reading. check you batt cables. if they are old, change them too.

I usually dont change 1 or 2 batts if the others are older than 2 yrs old. you can kill you new batts by overcharging them. basically the new batts will be charged, but the older ones wont be so the charger stays on until the older batts get up to voltage. hince overcharging the new batts.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
eddogg
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Cool Re: replaced battery but still have issues

Relax I've got all your answers,

Think of your battery spread as one big battery with one positive ( to motor) and one negative ( to ground ), generally the battereies will start to fail the closest to to + & - points... I am assuming you have 6-8v batteries let me tell you, I've replaced thousands of customer Battery sets, literally... I almost never replace 1 or a few out of the set, because 99.9% of the time the older batteries that weren't dead yet and weren't replaced (usually the closest to the new batteries) will fail within a month of the installation, and then the customer comes back whining and complaining... soooo I just sell them a full set and we wont see them for battery issues for another few years.

Let me go ahead and clear any misconceptions, your batteries will not, no matter what, last you as long as you were told by who ever sold you the cart. 3 years is almost a maximum on a these sets (4-12v and 8-6v), the best battery configuration yamaha puts in a cart is the 6 8 volt spread, ive seen carts with 5-8 yr old batteries...

At yamaha we use trojan batteries, you could very well need a whole set of batteries and I hate to tell you that, but it is what it is... nevermind your volt readings unless you get something that is so far south of the other batteries a couple volts in either direction isnt any reason for alarm. Also know you arent going to get your maximum range out of your batteries for a couple weeks and after they have been charged and run down a hand full of times.

What kind of charger are you using?
Look at your batteries and ontop of the lead terminals next to the post there should be a letter and a number. ex. D9 K0 B2, what do your batteries have on them?
What kind of Configuration do you have? 8-6V batteries?
eddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Like Courtesy said, it's the weakest link theroy. "The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link". You have effectively weekend the new batteries by adding them to a pack with the old batteries.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

eddog, hummmm, Yamaha Guru from the Villages,,,never heard of you.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Well, obviously we should of heard of him.
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

First thing I do when I get crazy multi meter readings is change the battery. This problem used to screw with me now I just grab another meter and if the reading straightens out I change the battery in the meter in question...
Secondly, never mix old and new batteries. They charge at very different rates. New batteries are more responsive when accepting the charge. So you will be over charging the new ones waiting for the old ones to come up and this will soon turn the new batteries into old batteries. So bite the bullet and get 3 more and some fresh cables. Then lets go from there.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
eddogg
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Rifter ya have now... mahalo
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
eddogg
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

It's nice to meet you all...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha