lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Default Improving Range on Drive.

I have a 2007 Yamaha Drive with a high-speed motor and OEM controller. The cart has four twelve-volt batteries. I live in a closed community with three golf courses. One is over four miles from home. When I drive to this course and play 18 holes the battery meter drops to below half and sometimes, I go into the yellow caution bars before reaching home again.

Would switching over to six eight-volt batteries or eight six-volt batteries provide greater range on this cart? I like the speed of the motor, but wish the cart had a bit better battery life (range). I don't need batteries today, but someday....

Thanks.
tomtt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Improving Range on Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtt2 View Post
I have a 2007 Yamaha Drive with a high-speed motor and OEM controller. The cart has four twelve-volt batteries. I live in a closed community with three golf courses. One is over four miles from home. When I drive to this course and play 18 holes the battery meter drops to below half and sometimes, I go into the yellow caution bars before reaching home again.

Would switching over to six eight-volt batteries or eight six-volt batteries provide greater range on this cart? I like the speed of the motor, but wish the cart had a bit better battery life (range). I don't need batteries today, but someday....

Thanks.
You need to get 8 6v batteries. 8-6v gets you the MOST range. 4-12v batteries get you the least amount of range. More batteries = better range.
URBANNGUERILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick post. I had heard something like that, but didn't know if it actually worked.

Regards
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
cmar143
Gone Wild

8 6V batteries would be great in theory but there is not enough room for them. I have a 2012 Drive with 875's and drive up and back from the park which is 6+miles and the gauge is only run down halfway. If you do get new batteries in the future just get 8V and preferably the higher Ah ones if you want more time and power.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
8 6V batteries would be great in theory but there is not enough room for them. I have a 2012 Drive with 875's and drive up and back from the park which is 6+miles and the gauge is only run down halfway. If you do get new batteries in the future just get 8V and preferably the higher Ah ones if you want more time and power.
With some modifications there IS room for 8-6v batteries. He asked what would provide greater range so I answered that question. There are members of this forum that have made the conversions and modifications necessary to accommodate the additional batteries without problem, and I will be making that same modifications in about a week or two.

However, if he would like to gain some range, without modifications- he can use 6- 8v batteries. It will not provide the additional range 8- 6v's would, but it will still be more than 4-12v's.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks cmar143. I hadn't got as far as figuring out if things would fit, but I had wondered about it.
Urbannguerilla, I would sure like to hear about your upcoming conversion. If you get a chance to post the details, I would be very interested in what mods were necessary and which batteries you ultimately selected.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtt2 View Post
Thanks cmar143. I hadn't got as far as figuring out if things would fit, but I had wondered about it.
Urbannguerilla, I would sure like to hear about your upcoming conversion. If you get a chance to post the details, I would be very interested in what mods were necessary and which batteries you ultimately selected.
Tom, in the meantime here is a link to ScottyB's post, my setup will be similar to his. Except I am totally removing the F&R Switch and controlling it with a reversing contactor. Scotty modified the F/R switch but left it in its stock location. There are a couple ways you can do it. I would read the whole thread, but the pictures and link I'm about to post will start on page 7. Here's the link...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/annou...ontrols-7.html
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the link...lengthy, but very interesting.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha