lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 3 inch lift question

Can you guys expand on this turning issue? I already ordered the jakes and to return it I have to pay shipping again so round trip shipping I am out 40-50 bucks. Is it really that big of a deal?
hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I did a test and the 3" has 6 ft less turning radius than the stock setup or the jakes 6" lift. I did a crap load of grinding to get the 3" to turn almost as sharp as the 6" setup.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So the rhox has normal turning radius? What did you grind to get full turning radius?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
dbmachine
Gone Wild

You have to grind the heads of the bolts that attach the arm to the spindle on the jakes kit. Also have to grind the sides of the inner spindles, also grind the arms that bolt to the jakes spindle. It was alot of taking on and off, measuring, grinding, measuring and grinding some more. Hit all the grinds with black rustoleum and its good to go. If i would have known this i would have gone with the rhox but some members told me the rhox sometimes have camber problems with the front tires leaning outwards is why i went with the jakes. If your handy with a grinder and basic tools should be no problem.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can I leave the jakes as is and still turn ok?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #16
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Yes you will be fine. I use my cart on the farm and on tight trails so i need all the turning as possible. If your just gonna be on the course or around the neighborhood i dont see a problem. When you install the lift and take the cart for a spin for the first time you will tell right away that the turning isnt near as sharp. When you turn the steering wheel to full lock your brain is gonna tell you to keep turning but the way the jakes 3" is made will limit it.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes the turning radius sucks not accepatable. Details or pics on the grinding you did please? Did u take the spindles off to grind?
Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Pictures arent gonna help much of what all i grinded because i painted everything back black so its gonna be hard to tell. So here is what to do. Jack the front back up, take off the wheels and tires, and disconnect the steering tie rod ends so you can turn each spindle back and forth by hand. You will see right off where the spindle bolts, the steering bracket, and the sides of the spindle come into contact. Took me lots of grinding and checking, grinding and checking. What you are after is being able to turn the spindle all the way around. Took me the better part of a afternoon to get it right. Wish i would have known 3" was like this or i would have tried the rhox for my need of tight turning. Get the sandpaper type flap grinding wheels work the best so you dont get too deep with the grinding.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Will the piece that bolts into the tie rod still limit turning? You don't have to drind that do you?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #20
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Yes you have to make a small notch in the piece that bolts to the tie rods as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha