lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
lilchas
Not Yet Wild

Default Lack of power

Have a 95' g-14 with a a major lack of speed and power up hills with some vibration. Have on board gps unit and is showing only 9 mph, even tried zip tie trick on govenor with no change in more speed. Also tried new belt, it seem to have the belt smoke alittle and get very warm. Is it drive problem, motor mount, or engine problem ?
lilchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lack of power

Check the bushing in the driven clutch, with a lack of grease, they wear out and cause vibrations.

Unless your engine mounts are so far gone and the engine is sitting crooked, I can't explain the smoke.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
lilchas
Not Yet Wild

Would that explain the lack of top end speed and poor hill climbing ?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

If the engine is sitting crooked, yes it would. The alignment has to be perfect or very close to it for optimal performance. I would recommend changing all the engine mounts (they are not expensive, check with Tom@Dixie Sales or tungpo1).

You may also want to do a compression check. If it's low, then you could be burning oil which would explain your smoke. It would look like it's coming off the belt, but it would really be out the muffler.

Another thing to check is the valves. I worked on a G9 yesterday and the intake valve was slightly too tight, which led to hard starts, poor hill climbing abilities, and some backfiring when hot.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
lilchas
Not Yet Wild

Thanks , will try some of the suggestions.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Did this problem ever get resolved?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
lilchas
Not Yet Wild

Sorry it took so long to reply, my kart is 150 miles away at the cottage ,just got back from working on it,its hard trying to diagnose and fix the problem , but here it goes. Compression check was o.k. at 168 psi ,but found the real problem, i think. The inner secondary sleave was all rounded out , worn pretty good. How come it went bad, i bought power kit which comes with that new sheave and a heavier spring, was the spring pressure to much or was it a lack of grease in fitting ? I do have a service manual and it shows a circlip, but found none on my kart and the trans shaft does not have a groove in it, is that o.k. ? So it looks like i,m going to replace the sheave and ramp shoes, Anything else ? Sorry, one more thing. I noticed that when looking down on the engine bracket tensioner there wasnt any , no cable ,lock nut, nothing. Will it hurt without it ? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

No clip should be ok. The power spring should be ok. Make sure it has grease
but not so much that it flys out on to the belt. The tensioner is important,
the engine sits on rubber mounts. As the clutches work the engine is pulled
rearward the cable stops this movement to keep the belt tight.

Loose belt = lack of speed and power.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

The torque kit should've came with a spacer/washer that replaces the c-clip and it SHOULD be installed. If not it could damage the rear clutch system and will definitely show signs of no power.

Are you also saying you don't have a cut out for the half moon key on the shaft? If so, maybe it sheared off and part of the half moon key is still in the shaft. It will definitely have one and will have to be replaced. It locks the sheave in place to help drive the clutch system.

The tensioner cable is exactly as Ron describes: it keeps the engine from moving back to far while it is under load. Check the rubber part of the motor mounts (inside) to make sure they are not damaged.

Check the bushing in the inner sheave to make sure it is not damaged and also check the trans. drive shaft for excessive wear. If this area has never been properly greased during its lifetime, one or both could be damaged and it will make the rear clutch system vibrate.
spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

And it's just a Yamaha, so don't expect a WHOLE lot of power.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha