lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 80 HD engine timing question

Can anyone explain the procedure for setting the timing on this engine? I looked at a manual online but it really doesnt explain how to set the timing just what degrees it should be set at. Whats the best way to measure the degree btdc?
revoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 80 HD engine timing question

No one knows or it is just to hard to explain?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

It is hard to explain. I have done it several times on this forum. You should be able to use the search function and find some of these posts. If not I will try to explain it again.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

If setting the timimng is anything like in a '74 HD 3 wheeler then there is a video on YouTube. Its actually pretty easy. Even I can do it HAHAHA
jomcguire18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys I will check both of those out.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
SeanDo
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I posted a video of the timing procedure as I understand it on YouTube. It is finicky for sure. Lots of people get a good run in reverse but not so much in forward.

TEW has some great posts here that we're essential in my timings. I am going to fiddle with it again soon and post a more detailed how to video.

Question back though, is it possible to reverse this symptom? Time it perfect forward and let reverse sputter?
SeanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Yes it is very possible to reverse the symptom. Timing should be balanced in either direction. I checked the video and it really doesn't show what to do in case the points do not open the same place forward and reverse. You have to adjust the point plate to do that. I have two point plates that Craig sent and I have been changing points and condensers to see what changes that may cause. One thing I have found is that if you change to another brand of points the timing balance probably will change. I use the timing stop to time now for it is positive and exact. It is also a lot faster. I set the points at .022 then turn the crank back and forth to set balance. To keep from turning the engine one foll turn I just screw the stop out and turn the crank to the other side and screw it back in. I have re-checked with the flywheel marks and it works perfectly.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys I have rebuilt the top end and had to work on the forward/reverse switch and clean points. I fired it up and runs pretty good but I will need to replace the points because they are pretty bad. There is a lot of sparking between the points when it is running. What is this timing stop that tew talked about?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

If there is a lot of sparking the condenser is probably bad. The timing stop is just my name for a device used to stop the piston at the proper place so you don't have to look through that small hole with a flashlight. It is like an extra long spark plug and replaces the spark plug in the timing procedure. I will try to post a photo of it in a tool kit I put together for the HD cart. It is made with an old spark plug body and a long bolt or rod. There is a photo and building instructions on this forum somewhere. I can't seem to get my photo to upload now. I will re-post with it when working.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Photo of my tool box with the timing stop next to the spark plug. I finally found it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0570.jpg (120.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson