lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Controller worth a shot?

This is the controller I got from a wrecked cart. It is 48 volt and 500 amp. (700 for 30 seconds) It got hit in the accedent and smashed. Some of the contacts were bent, but I bent them back. The cover was mangled and I was able to straighten it out. The only thing that doesnt look to good is one of the magic electrical things got a little smashed. You can see it in the picture. Theres several of them and Im hopping they are redundent. only one is smashed. They are sunk in the potting material, so I dont think you can install a new one.

The question, should I hook it up and try it? Is that little thing just for show?

Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Controller worth a shot?

That component is an electrolytic cap. It will be shorted if it's smashed. Since the unit is potted, it is not repairable so I would just give it a try. I hate potted electronics!
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Do it outside. Provide a way to disconnect the batteries if things go south. Rear wheels off the ground. Fire extinguisher at the ready. Better yet, save this project for new years, i think you will get a real good light show.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Do it outside. Provide a way to disconnect the batteries if things go south. Rear wheels off the ground. Fire extinguisher at the ready. Better yet, save this project for new years, i think you will get a real good light show.
Are you joking? What would be the worse that could happen? I'm hoping that it works or it burns up without hurting anything else. I don't really expect any real fire, just smoke. I've just rebuilt the rest of the cart. So I don't want to hurt it. Right now it's 36V. But I'm going to convert to 48, even if I have to buy a controller. The 48v selinoid got smashed too. But they are fairly cheap. I was just going to order one and a couple batteries and try the controller. If it doesn't work I'll get a new one.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Are you joking? What would be the worse that could happen? I'm hoping that it works or it burns up without hurting anything else. I don't really expect any real fire, just smoke. I've just rebuilt the rest of the cart. So I don't want to hurt it. Right now it's 36V. But I'm going to convert to 48, even if I have to buy a controller. The 48v selinoid got smashed too. But they are fairly cheap. I was just going to order one and a couple batteries and try the controller. If it doesn't work I'll get a new one.

Whats the worst that can happen? Your cart will burst into flames! (NOt kidding) With that cap looking like it looks theres no telling what may happen. It may not do anything....it may work fine or it could short out....you never know so your better off doing it outside prepared for anything that may happen. Chances are everything will be fine but no sense taking a chance.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Had a cap about twice that size blow off an elevator control panel. Sounded like a pistol shot. The board suffered melt-down and blew s*** in 8 ft. radius. In addition to what cgtech listed, have some fresh shorts handy.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Don't even try it.
Email that pic to Alltrax and ask their technicians if they think it is safe to run
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

Up date,

I hooked the controller up and no go. There were no fire works either. Not even any smoke. I was afraid I fried something on the cart because the selinoid wouldn't kick, but when I hooked up the stock box, it worked again. I tried this with 36V. (With a 36V selinoid) I assume if it doesn't work with 36, it won't work with 48.

In any case, now I got to buy a controller. I have a line on a used Curtis 500 amp controller. It looks old. Are they any good? It's very cheap. It also looks like it bolts on to my heat sink. I might buy it and a new XCT also. I could keep the Curtis for my Marathon. Am I right thinking a XCT doesn't heed a heat sink because it has a fan?

One thing I noticed was my stock cart did not have a diode on the selinoid. Is that normal?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If its a "short case" 275a curtis rebuilt to "500a", it was questionable when it came from the rebuilder (too small for good heat dissipation @ 500a). Alltrax SPM & XCT have their own heat sink system and dont need to be bolted to another one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
Helirich
Gone Wild

Can you tell from this?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO