lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
Faraone26
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2009 Club Car Light Kit Install HELP!

Good afternoon all, newbie here.

I'm in the process of installing a street legal light kit on my 2009 Club Car Precedent 48 volt. I purchased the light kit and 18 amp voltage reducer from Rec Pro via ebay. Being that I have a 2009 they provided me with a bucket harness for the install because the wiring is different on the newer model Precedents. Anyhow I believe I have all the wires hooked up correctly but as soon as I hook up the wires to my battery pack the inline fuse on my voltage reducer blows and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Also the inline fuse on the reducer is 8 amps but the reducer itself is 18 so I'm confused by that as well. Any and all advice is welcomed. Thank you in advance!
Faraone26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2009 Club Car Light Kit Install HELP!

to BGW

These bucket harnesses seem to cause problems, you're not the first one to have trouble. Unfortunately I don't know much about them, as I've never worked on a Precedent. Hopefully someone who has dealt with one will come along shortly.

As for the fuse size question, the reducer is rated at 18 amps at 12v. The inline lead is 48v, so it's lower (8 amps). Wattage divided by Voltage equals Amperage.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
jroeiii
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2009 Club Car Light Kit Install HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraone26 View Post
Good afternoon all, newbie here.

I'm in the process of installing a street legal light kit on my 2009 Club Car Precedent 48 volt. I purchased the light kit and 18 amp voltage reducer from Rec Pro via ebay. Being that I have a 2009 they provided me with a bucket harness for the install because the wiring is different on the newer model Precedents. Anyhow I believe I have all the wires hooked up correctly but as soon as I hook up the wires to my battery pack the inline fuse on my voltage reducer blows and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Also the inline fuse on the reducer is 8 amps but the reducer itself is 18 so I'm confused by that as well. Any and all advice is welcomed. Thank you in advance!
Welcome to BGW!

Pictures will help us to see what you are working with - first what are the voltage specs for your reducer? How was it connected to the battery pack? There are multiple kinds out there 16v-12v and (36-60v)-12v and would need to be connected to the battery back differently.

The voltage reducer's purpose is to convert higher voltage @ LESS amps, to a lower voltage @ INCREASED amps. Example 48v @ 300w = 6.25Amps -> 12v @ 300w = 25 Amps. In your example above, your reducer is rated 8 Amps/18 Amps which is intended depending on the input/output voltages.

I recommend disconnecting the light kit from from the reducer to isolate your reducer to the battery pack only and get it working first. Wire and test the voltage output with a voltmeter attached. If that produces the correct voltage without blowing the fuse you can move on to attaching the light kit and continuing your troubleshooting.
jroeiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light kit, lights, rec pro, voltage reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car